Timber Suppliers: Where to buy and how is it priced?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddler

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm a quite a beginner to woodworking and my projects so far have involved using softwood (pine) for making frames, mainly because that was all I could get hold of (inexpensively) at the builders yard. I've read that hardwoods are better and not necessarily that much more expensive. I'd like to know:

1. How much more is a hardwood such as white oak in comparison to a softwood such as pine?

2. How is timber from a supplier priced (I've read stuff about cubic ft but not sure)?

3. Do they have minimum order quantities?

4. Who is good supplier to go to (I'm based in Birmingham)?

If someone could help me out with these questions, that'd be great and hopefully set me on my way to making some solid joints!

Tim. :D

Hi Riddler, welcome

1. True pine and American White oak are very close in price
2. Sold per cubic foot i.e. a 12" wide board by 1" thick by 12' long also cubic metre( don't even go there.
3.Some suppliers will have a minimum quantity or add a surcharge, they may add up to 25% if you don't order at least,say, 20 cubes.
You should go to the timber yard, doff your cap and smile they'll usually try and accomodate you, it may work out expensive to start with but as you gain confidence, try other yards and if you sound like you know what you're talking about you'll get a fair price.
4. Birmingham ? sorry can't help.

Dom

Tim

If you are in the north of Birmingham you could try Great Barr Sawmills who stock small quantities of hardwoods. May be an option if you just want something to try.

Bob

I think this is such a big issue for us newbies that we could do with a guide along the lines of "How not to look like a Complete Numpty at the Timber Merchants", or "Beyond B&Q".

Sorry, can't write one myself; just the opposite in fact:

Numpty to Timber Merchant: "Good morning, I'd like to buy some wood...."

Timber Merchant: "You're a Numpty, aren't you?"

See what I mean :oops:

cumbrian":1wjbxzun said:
I think this is such a big issue for us newbies that we could do with a guide along the lines of "How not to look like a Complete Numpty at the Timber Merchants", or "Beyond B&Q".

I don't disagree. However, I have to say my local Travis Perkins are always very helpful, know that I know what I want to achieve but may not posess the terminology to express myself in a meaningful fashion and between us we usually figure out what I need.

cumbrian":3imgr4jp said:

Yeah, I'd definately buy a copy of "Beyond B&Q"!!! I guess that once I've been to a timber merchant a few times I'll probably wonder how I was ever confused about how it all works.

I contacted Arnold Laver (timberworld.co.uk) today and they were really helpful. They've sent me a copy of their hardwood brochure and price list, plus they passed my details onto the local Birmingham branch who are going to get in touch. Thanks to Andy for the link, if they don't have a large minimum order then I might be in business, if they do then Great Barr Sawmills sounds like the place to go (thanks Bob!).

Thanks to everyone for the advice,

Tim. :D

Riddler,

I know this is from the USA but have you seen the Wood Whisperer Lumber (timber) buying video podcast?

While its very American it does cover the sorts of things you need to know, maybe one of our video enabled members could do a UK version?

Don't we have a British Hardwood rep as a member? Praps he / she / they could offer some words of wisdom.
This buying wood problem is such a perennial that it would be nice to see it sorted. It's such aggro that I wonder why I bother every time I get involved in it. If I could find a supplier who looked after the "Numpty" as though they mattered I'd be a customer for life. As it happens I'm always left feeling slightly soiled and aggrieved by the whole wood buying experience.
Cheers Mike

its nice to know BritishHardwoods dont have a minimum order status.......
but Ouch! do those delivery charges look bad????

under 100cu ft £18.00 + £4.60 per cuft
(20 cube of beech @ £20.50 (avg price)= £410
del charge of £18.00 + (20x£4.60=£92.00) makes a £110.00 del charge

totals out at £520.00.......or am I reading it wrong??

please someone tell me I AM reading it wrong , or its going to be cheaper to BUY rather than BUILD a new Beech workbench.

another Numpty here, 100cu ft is that like a LOT of wood??

BTW i think "Beyond B&Q" should be called "Buying Wood- The Myths and Legends Vol.1" :lol:

another Numpty here, 100cu ft is that like a LOT of wood??

Well, the average ceiling is what, about 8 ft ish? So it would be floor to ceiling, 1 ft (30 cm) wide by 12.5 ft (375 cm) long.

BritishHardwoods":x0dj73lh said:
We don't have a minimum order quantity, but do indeed offer a discount for buying 20 cubic feet or more. Also we deliver all over the UK so I'm sure given a little bit of digging you will find plenty of suppliers to assist you.

Crosshills, I was brought up in Sutton!

Timber yards (well yard actually) attitudes are what stopped me wood working originally - drew up a cutting list as recommended (imperial and metric) knew what sort of timber I fancied, visited the yard and asked to see the wood so I could make a final decision, check for twists, warps, splits etc and was informed that "You people aren't allowed in the yard, tell us what you want and we'll get it" then offered up the list and had it chucked back across the counter with the comment "that's no good to me" asked what he needed and was told "a proper list" asked what a constituted a proper list and was told "not that" - gave up.

why on earth should a customer of any kind have to "go to the timber yard, doff your cap and smile they'll usually try and accomodate you, it may work out expensive to start with but as you gain confidence, try other yards and if you sound like you know what you're talking about you'll get a fair price."

I expect to be accomodated any time I'm passing over a not inconsiderable amount of hard earned cash and the price better not vary based on the salesmans assessment of my knowledge, would you expect the price of a camera to go up if the guy in Dixons thought you knew pipper all about them? At least in B&Q you know it's all rubbish but you can pick up some bargains if you go through the offcut bin.

Just reread this and gawd I'm in a narky mood, you wouldn't think I start my holidays today but then I'm going to try and buy some wood next week so put it down to stress :)

Kane you may be in a narky mood but I agree with you 100%. Timberyards are so unpleasant to deal with as a rule that I almost give up every time I have to deal with one. I have in the past been known to hang up in exasperation and go back to the phone book. As I said before the first timber yard that treats me as though they think I am a valued customer regardless of my skill levels or knowledge will have a customer for life. I'm usually about to spend a fair amount of hard won cash on a discretionary occupation. Making life hard for me - the customer isn't acceptable, amusing or clever. If, the yard owners only want to deal with trade for whatever reason then they should state that clearly up front or not put their ads in the yellow pages. All of this is why I'm quite dependant on Yandles despite their foibles. I can wander round the self selection shed. The boards are marked with a price and the whole thing is up to me. I don't have to worry about being told they can only give me a price in cu m, no one will snigger at my cutting list - though they still smirk at the till (but that might just be because I have a comical appearance). In fact the only problem I have at Yandles is a Transport one but I can work around that and it's better than the delivery charges I've had quoted to me by several of the Yards.
Cheers Mike

Fair comments Kane.

But I'm afraid that's how it is if a customer approaches me with a bad attitude and throwing key words at me that they've picked up here and there I feel less inclined to treat them with the respect a customer deserves.
Wheras the customer who has a more sympathetic attitude and puts me in their hands will receive a warmer reception and in my case probably a better price.
Softly, softly(rogue traders aside) will always get you better service and prices.

Dom

Another thing about hardwood purchase rearing its ugly head....
calculate the amount of wood required, then add at least 50% on top for wastage...why do they not sell it PAR or at least in some usable sawn dimensions..
i nip off to B&Q, Wckes and the like buying pine , I at least know the dimensions are going to be close to the final dimensions i want , and not have to find 50% wastage ( but then again , we are talking B&Q, maybe hardwood prices arent so bad :twisted: 0

NeilO":2j211non said:
..why do they not sell it PAR or at least in some usable sawn dimensions

Because the work required to get it to that state has be be paid for somehow and also because the users have a wide enough variety of requirements that what ever preparation was done it would be wrong for someone, better to leave it unprepared and thus cater for everyone. They will, of course, turn it onto PAR on request but that will cost an order of magnitude more.

Cheers Mike

There's a difference between a customer that comes at you with a bad attitude (that's about as acceptable as a bad mannered salesman isn't it) and a normal bloke that want's to buy a bit of wood though, it shouldn't be difficult never mind unpleasent to go to a timber yard and buy a half dozen bits of wood six inches across, seventy two inches long and one inch thick or any other combination it's just not acceptable.

Nearly dinner time - I'll be in a happier mood once I've had a cuppa and a sandwich lol :)

Latest posts

Back