Timber studs size.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norfolk75

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding Timber studs.

Previous project a large shed/room I used 4x2 timber for the walls 38x89 which seem very solid, that was 6 metres x 5 metres.

The next project is 5 metres x 3 metres so my question is would I get around using 38mm x 63mm timbers 2x3 or would you defiantly use 4x2 studs.

Thank you

I used 95 x 47 for my recent built shed, 5.4m x 2.7m

I think 63mm x 38mm is a bit mean for a 5m x 3m shed, but depends what you want to use it for, certainly an off the shelf job would have light weight framework, probably 50 x 50 -but then they are really budget sheds designed for parking your mower in.

If you are screwing it together then 95 x 45 section gives plenty of room for 2 screws per joint with no risk of splitting. There isnt a huge saving in cost, so unless you are on a tight budget, Id stick with the larger section.

RobinBHM":2cuvhm73 said:
I used 95 x 47 for my recent built shed, 5.4m x 2.7m

I think 63mm x 38mm is a bit mean for a 5m x 3m shed, but depends what you want to use it for, certainly an off the shelf job would have light weight framework, probably 50 x 50 -but then they are really budget sheds designed for parking your mower in.

If you are screwing it together then 95 x 45 section gives plenty of room for 2 screws per joint with no risk of splitting. There isnt a huge saving in cost, so unless you are on a tight budget, Id stick with the larger section.

Thanks mate.

Well,I'm going to fix some cupboards for drills etc but something in my head is telling me do the same as before and use 4x2's, that extra support will defiantly help Not only that I'll get thicker insulation in there too.

I suppose it's one of those if it's going to be done do it properly.

I have built 3 workshop/studios around this size (and one 5 x 7) using 68 x 38 at 400mm centers with noggins and they were all fine once together. First one using 90mm screws and nail gun for the other two.

Bit wobbly during construction but stiffened up as roof and ship lap fitted. If you are lining it inside it will be even stronger.

I would only use 2x4 for a shed IF I wanted to make it properly and insulate it as well, if it's just some shed that will fall down in next 5years than 2x3 is fine.

Back