Timber purchasing trip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just got back from a timber buying trip about 130 miles in total.

First stop was Tylers Hardwoods near Marlborough Wilts for some 2" AWO for my chair making project. As always, first class timber, friendly service and loads of staff. My purchase involved five people but prices to match :( dead on 3 cuft came to £164.34 inc vat :shock:
I did not take a photo as 6-8" squared edge boards 6' long are not very exciting.

Then off to my new found supplier Timports. They are a new startup generally dealing in bulk but also appear on Ebay selling small quantities. They are not set up for retail but an email to their MD yielded encouraging results and they were prepared to sort through their wide boards or 27mm oak to find me about 3Cuft of quarter sawn kiln dried European oak. They only sell complete boards which at the moment are about 15-16" wide - one or both waney edge and around 9-10' long. So about 1 cu ft per board.

I needed to cut it to fit in the car and they took pity on my with my handsaw and produced a jigsaw to help.

IMG_1166.jpg

some nice QS figuring,

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

and a few 'character features'

IMG_1168.jpg

This is definitely a collection by arrangement vendor and they are not set up for customers to pick the stock over but I was free to examine what they had dug out for me and decide if I wanted it or not. The deal had taken a few days to arrange.
This might not suit everyone but I was OK with it by especially when the price was £100 inc vat for 3.1cuft.

Back home having stacked it all away, I'm knackered but very pleased with the results.

Now I need to turn it in to shavings and sawdust oh yes and a table and dining chairs for the kitchen.

Bob

Very nice Bob. I beg to differ on one point... 6 to 8 inch boards of oak 6ft long are not boring.... they are inspiration in solid form :lol:

I like the wider boards too! some nice figure in them. I just love working with oak (green or kiln dried or reclaimed) I learn something new every time. Hope you will do a Work in progress for the project.

Rob.

Beautiful timber, but you've got a way to go before you beat Waka's round trip of 350miles to buy some oak off of me... And he's done it twice :shock:

Now thats a man who likes a bargain :wink:

Andy

Creampuff":1f11tjxz said:
Beautiful timber, but you've got a way to go before you beat Waka's round trip of 350miles to buy some oak off of me... And he's done it twice :shock:

Now thats a man who likes a bargain :wink:

Andy

Yeah, but Waka is a special breed :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Bob

Nice timber, I do like working with oak.

I'm coming to the end of a project that has used up nearly 40 cuft of AWO which I did buy off Creampuff, it was worth the 350 mile journey.

I'll post some pic's when the job is complete.

hi bob,

some nice planks there, but i'm sure they're not quarter sawn. you dont get the heart on a true quarter sawn board. two waney edges.....thats a givaway. with a through and through from the centre of the trunk, you will obviously get the same figuring, which is what it looks like you have there.

just an idea, why don't you guys club together and hire a lorry to come over here. 27mm here is £750 a cubic metre, although they're not that generous with the passage as they include the sapwood and heart in the measure.

jeff

Waka":22viuq6q said:
Bob

Nice timber, I do like working with oak.

I'm coming to the end of a project that has used up nearly 40 cuft of AWO which I did buy off Creampuff, it was worth the 350 mile journey.

I'll post some pic's when the job is complete.

40 cuft. ????????????????????

What are you doing a barn conversion?

jeffinfrance":1l23hhtv said:
hi bob,

some nice planks there, but i'm sure they're not quarter sawn. you dont get the heart on a true quarter sawn board. two waney edges.....thats a givaway. with a through and through from the centre of the trunk, you will obviously get the same figuring, which is what it looks like you have there.

just an idea, why don't you guys club together and hire a lorry to come over here. 27mm here is £750 a cubic metre, although they're not that generous with the passage as they include the sapwood and heart in the measure.

jeff

Jeff, you are correct. They selected the boards for me from packs of sawn through and through.
I sent of a number of enquiries to suppliers in a 100mile radius of me and most could not supply QS and a few others offered to select at prices between £30 and £70 plus vat per cube.

Further north, there seem to be timber mills that will do genuine QS but delivery or my petrol makes those a non starter.
your price is £24/cube presumably plus French Vat (22%?)
Van hire plus ferry and fuel will soon knock the shine off that deal sadly.

Timports will do waney edge at 1 cu m for £800 plus vat.

With delivery this is £1057 all in = about £34 per cube collected from my place

I'd happily organise a group buy but can't store it other than under a tarp.

Bob

Latest posts

Back