Timber - learning and costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for steam rallies. They love showing off what they can do in terms of slicing up big timber, and then seem slightly surprised that someone wants to buy the product!
Sadly, this year's one at Crathes tried to take place on the first day of the monsoon - there's probably still the odd engine stranded somewhere towards the mouth of the Dee!

Well worth the visits are the ralles One year a bloke came and asked if I used Lime for anything. Well the next day he dropped these off at the rally FOC

DSCF1758_zps6c1a108f.jpg

DSCF1759_zpsc6468e3d.jpg

At the same rally Some one had a fudge stall along side he had a few bits and two of them where these I knocked him down to £2 each slab I managed to get 11 bowl blanks out of them both from one very small one at 4"dia up to some at 9"

DSCF1099.jpg

DSCF1100.jpg

So well worth going to well for me anyway

Wood arrived quickly, think it was just under £30. Still have blunt tools but now own a grinder ! Just got to sort out some jigs to start sharpening them so I can finally turn something lol

2015-06-08%2020.45.47.jpg

IIRC Tony buys in bulk from a larger supplier for his own pens, and any profit he makes goes to Help for Heroes. I think that one is the same type sold by Charnwood. I haven't tried one, but if Tony is selling them, it is likely the one he uses.

I did buy one from him about 18 months ago and nothing wrong with it at all. Only thing I would say which is true of whichever you buy, don't overtighten or you risk bending the mandrel shaft. Tony sells replacement shafts as well btw.
If you're serious about pens, buy a mandrel saver as well and don't use the screw.

cheers
Bob

Lons":1mkw9id3 said:
I did buy one from him about 18 months ago and nothing wrong with it at all. Only thing I would say which is true of whichever you buy, don't overtighten or you risk bending the mandrel shaft. Tony sells replacement shafts as well btw.
If you're serious about pens, buy a mandrel saver as well and don't use the screw.

cheers
Bob

Axy has one for £25 but the mandrel is only £15 :/ I'll see how many I do, my main interest TBH is boxes I think but I've not much at the moment. I do like pens thou and seeing all the awesome pens that you can turn really has me interested !

Latest posts

Back