Threaded Nuts to screw on Tyme Cub headstock spindle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenboy-01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi are you able to point me in the right direction on sourcing the above threaded nuts, I know the Headstock spindle thread is 20mmx2mm . I need these to mount various blank holding project.

Regards Ken

Not a readily available thread size I fear, ISO Fine Thread VI (metric)

Everyday metric (coarse) threads are 2.5mm pitch at 20mm dia.

Check the standard, I think you will find din 934 threads are 1.5mm pitch.

There are some 10 different metric fine thread standards if I remember correctly.

Thanks for all your replies (Very Informative) just out of curiosity I acquired 3/4 x 2mm nuts but the thread on these are to fine for the headstock spindle so I do not know whether the spindle thread is Whitworth, UNC, Etc. any ideas on this

kenboy-01":2mm3fkoi said:
…... I acquired 3/4 x 2mm nuts but the thread on these are to fine for the headstock spindle .....

3/4" and 20mm are not the same. 3/4" is 19.05 mm.

How did you determine the thread size, is it quoted on the machine specification, or are you measuring it with a micrometer and a thread guage.

If you are measuring the diameter you need to take into consideration the characteristitics of the thread form and any machining tolerances.
Rarely will a thread actualy measure the nominal design diameter.

kenboy-01":2x2o7rnr said:
... just out of curiosity I acquired 3/4 x 2mm nuts but the thread on these are too fine for the headstock spindle ... any ideas on this
2mm pitch would be 12.7 tpi ??? and as CHJ has pointed out 3/4" is 19.05mm so whatever you've acquired, you have either mis-measured or is a 'turnip' size.

Both UNC & BSW (at 3/4") are 10 tpi - - UNF & BSF are 16 tpi

It's not absolutely clear (but can be assumed) that you meant 3/4" but it is also possible that you meant 3/4 height nuts. If that is the case and they are 20mm x 2 then perhaps the standard metric 20 x 2.5 are what you need.

kenboy-01":z871esw0 said:
Hi if you can find this tap I will pay you plus post and packaging?

Ken
I know where I stored it Ken but hadn't thought about selling tbh. Mine is a high quality tap probably much better than needed for the application where a cheapo will do the job. Will have a think though and let you know.

kenboy-01":25qmjzre said:
Hi are you able to point me in the right direction on sourcing the above threaded nuts, I know the Headstock spindle thread is 20mmx2mm . I need these to mount various blank holding project.Regards Ken
Cheapest seem to be in the link that J-G- posted. Use the drop down boxes for sizes & quantities.
- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-M10-M12-M ... rk:51:pf:0

Bingo. I have just discovered, totally by chance that the threaded nuts from 22mm compression fittings marry up with the Head stock spindle. what happened was I needed to sought out my plumbing bits and pieces and noticed a few 22mm compression fittings and thought, "Hmm, and there you have it, perhaps this info may be of use to other members.

kenboy-01":2druw2ur said:
Bingo. I have just discovered, totally by chance that the threaded nuts from 22mm compression fittings marry up with the Head stock spindle. what happened was I needed to sought out my plumbing bits and pieces and noticed a few 22mm compression fittings and thought, "Hmm, and there you have it, perhaps this info may be of use to other members.

??????? I don't think so. 15mm or 1/2" compression maybe, dependant on manufacturer*.
compression.jpg

* thread pitch varies with brand.

Attachments

• compression.jpg
    compression.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 237
CHJ beat me to it - I had to do some research :)

kenboy-01":15rqzh2d said:
Bingo. I have just discovered, totally by chance that the threaded nuts from 22mm compression fittings marry up with the Head stock spindle.

That doesn't make any sense at all ! The bore on a 22mm fitting must be greater than 22mm else the pipe wouldn't pass through.

I've just measured a 15mm compression fitting thread and it is just over 20mm dia and about 2mm pitch (I haven't put it on a shadow-graph so can't do better that 'about') so it is possible that it might just fit. Being made of Brass would mean that you might deform the thread enough just by forcing it on to the spindle but I wouldn't rely on it in the long term.

Searching through my extensive list of thread 'standards' I suspect that a 15mm compression fitting would have either a ½" BSP - 20.955mm x 14tpi (1.814mm pitch) [most likely], a 20mm Metric Conduit thread which is 1.5mm pitch, a Pg13.5 conduit thread which is 20.4 O/D x 18 tpi (1.41mm pitch) or possibly a ½" WPIPE thread 21.43Ø x 14tpi (1.81mm pitch) depending upon the age and origin of the fitting.

Whoops, sorry to mislead you I meant to say 15mm and |I can assure you this compression nut fits perfect without the use of ptfe or using any force I have already made a blank and drilled the appropriate hole for the nut to fit in (Tight Fit), filled the gaps up with eppoxy ressin, when set, I offered up to spindle, tightened up and proceeded to true the blank I will send a photo of this later

Latest posts

Back