Thread adapter??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domingos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm a noob and I bought a three jaws chuck for my lathe but apparently the thread is completely wrong. The lathe is m18 and the chuck is m12. Are there adapters for situations like this?

There are, but unlikely in that combination of thread sizes. A three jaw will be a metal working chuck and not suitable for a wood lathe anyway (assuming as you're posting in "Wood Turning" it's not a metal lathe you have.).

If the lathe is M18 and the chuck is M12 it would need the chuck boring out and re-threading or you would get too much overhang.

I’m guessing that if the chuck is m12 its one of these type of small chucks
90B70718-AD5D-4111-BDB8-2E2AE4B3B285.jpeg

Which are ok for holding small woodworking projects

As the lathe thread is bigger than the thread in the chuck, any adapter will overhang a bit. I am not sure you will find one off the shelf. You may want to consider getting an M18 chuck instead.

I’m guessing ( though only a guess) that its a park side lathe which uses a strange pitch so there’s no available chucks (yet)
And as that chuck is perhaps the cheapest chuck available the cost of having an adapter made may be unpalatable to the op

I’m guessing ( though only a guess) that its a park side lathe which uses a strange pitch so there’s no available chucks (yet)
And as that chuck is perhaps the cheapest chuck available the cost of having an adapter made may be unpalatable to the op
It's an einhell one. Normal m18 thread

If it's a small chuck like the one in the photo by fh801978 it may be intended to go on a morse taper arbour like you would with a jacobs chuck. I have one similar to that which fits on a MT arbour.

Latest posts

Back