This price is OTT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit like Apple really. I really like the Domino. I think that is the only Festool I might be tempted to buy, if I was tortured....
I think some products like Apple & Festool can end up with a blind following, many people who don't join the festool fan club will buy a domino on the basis you don't have any choice, there are no competitors and competition is what drives inovation and product development. As for the hose, that is blatant robbery, do festool really believe that they will get away with it forever, they were pretty smug with tracksaws until bosch & makita started production.

I think some products like Apple & Festool can end up with a blind following, many people who don't join the festool fan club will buy a domino on the basis you don't have any choice, there are no competitors and competition is what drives inovation and product development. As for the hose, that is blatant robbery, do festool really believe that they will get away with it forever, they were pretty smug with tracksaws until bosch & makita started production.

Partially true, probably. I have a few festool bits that I have bought over time. Each one I researched and bought based on that research.

There is no denying that festool and Apple are expensive. But if you want a sander and blindly buy one from the festool catalogue, you will get a very good sander which will work very well. If it isn't the best in class, it won't be far off, and the best will be more money still. You may be able to get a sander elsewhere cheaper but when you compare specs and performance it won't be as good and comparison on price alone relevant. They don't try to compete to have the cheapest sander in the market, or even a good mid level offering. If you want some headphones, a laptop or a phone and buy an apple one without further research, you will get a product that is as good as it gets.

Robbery, "lol". Nobody is forcing you to buy it, even festool themselves offer a cheaper alternative. They are running a business not a charity. If a company couldn't charge a premium for new and innovative products, there would be no incentive for R&D. I say bring it on, let the technology trickle down and we will be able to buy similar versions in a few years. In the meantime, £139 to somebody using it regularly is nothing and they get to benefit now.

Hi

When I looked for a ROS I checked all the brands and eventually brought a 110volt Bosch 125/150 mm for a tad under £250. It was recommended by a joiner and it has worked flawlessly and a festool could not have done anything different except cost me more. The only one I looked at was a 110volt festool, only 90mm and £450, the guy said buy the makita it is a better buy.

Whats wrong with Dewalt, their router is a lot better than that festool one with a pan handle.
there's nothing wrong with dewalt, thats why I buy it, can't say have had a lot of chance to trial a lot of festool kit, but I've always been under the impression it was quality stuff

We need a thumbs down icon to (politely) disagree with posts when our own experience strongly contradicts the views offered up by others.
"Nothing wrong with DeWalt" nearly made me snort my beer out through my nose :)
The previous recommendation for a Bosch ROS didn't match my experience either even though I like old Bosch and still choose to buy their brushless stuff.
(not a Festool fanboy at all but v. happy with my one core purchase that has proven to be better than I expected)

Some tools I buy the cheapest possible, for example small angle grinders, I have 3. One has a cutting disk, one a flap wheel and the other has a wire brush. It is so convenient not having to change disks when I'm working (with metal) I think I paid £10 each new. There's not a lot which goes wrong with an angle grinder and they have no precision requirements. They are throw away tools. Other tools, like my bevel saw DeWalt 718XPS, I will research to the n'th degree then buy the best which suits my requirements. Other tools, like my pillar drill, planer, and band saw, I look for old quality stuff and prepared to wait for months for a good one. I have a price above which I won't go and I think in nearly all cases, Festool falls into that category. It doesn't matter to me how much better they may be, it's beyond what I need to pay for my level of skill and what I make. I could see where someone earns a living from this, then it's a good investment . This is just one of my hobbies. Photography is another and there, my thinking is a bit different, but I still have an upper limit for gear. I wouldn't go out and buy a Leica M10 Monochrome, lol (£7400!! for a rangfinder camera that just takes B&W pics) . I just love having really good equipment. It gives me so much pleasure using it and I think that will be the same for some people and woodworking tools, pleasure from using and having the best.

Yes, I've done exactly that. The sleeving cost about a tenner on eBay a few years back, it's very slippery and doesn't snag on anything. Another big benefit is that you can run the plug-it cable inside the sleeve. I used plumbers self amalgamating tape on the ends, heatshrink would be good but I've never seen it in that size, what you don't want is electrical tape cos it will quickly turn into a sticky mess.

Nice job pcb1962! I'm interested in doing this now. Do you recall the diameter of the braided sleeve you used. I have only been able to find it up to 30mm. I'm not sure if that would be enough for the hose from my (excellent) Festool shop vac. (No I'm not a Festool fan boy, but their stuff is excellent)

Vinn

You realize all our stuff would be thus expensive if they were built like this. Built to super high standards. Built by people in factories in countries where people make a living wage. Not China!
I believe made in switerzerland, Austria and Germany.

A living wage in China is less than a living wage in Europe.

I have a very budget dust extractor thing (dust commander on top of a tub that goes to cheap vacuum cleaner) and a very budget hose to go with it. It works fine when attached to a static machine; but when I was routing the hole for the insert on the router table recently, that hose was snagging on everything in sight and it was really starting to become a pain in the wotsits. I might try some of that sleeving stuff to see if it improves.

I can well believe people paying over the odds for either the perceived quality/value or just the showiness of it all, though.

Domestic type vacuums like henries are very good for extraction on power tools and are good value for the money because of the economy of scale, once you get into woodworking vacuums where far less are manufactured you pay more for less.

As far as I can tell those items are not quite “like for like”. If you run the automatic blue tooth ID thing then that hose is worth every Penny. Imagine if every time you used a different tool you just plugged the hose in and that was it. I swap tools from hose and plug around 10 times a day. As a pro, I wouldn’t think twice about a nifty little gadget like that.

I have a lot of nice powertools at work

And very basic ones at home.

Louis

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back