This is just unbelievable

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green

Established Member
Reaction score
I stole these images from an other forum and thought some people on here might be interested...

What we have here is a 2½" (cutting depth) bearing guided router bit on a ¼" shaft (yes really) The shaft bent as the machine spun up and the centrifugal force pulled it over. I shudder to think what could have happened had the user been feeding wood into the cutter at the time.

I am speechless. :|

I am quite concerned that the router cutter manufacturer would make something that dangerous in the first place, do we know what make of cutter it was?

The guy said he was new to woodworking and didn't think anything about it when he ordered. No seller or brand was mentioned. Looks like a mild steel shaft judging by the way it bent.

Can you imagine that thing flailing around at 20,000 RPM! I can't think that these (even if they are made from the right materials) would be safe.

I found an even longer one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-pc-1-4-SH-3 ... 1e83629af1

Once it gets bent out of true at maximum revs it won't take long to become a death trap. Absolutely frightening.

I was a bit worried when I saw the colour as I have a lot of Yonico Bits and they are the same colour. I have had no issues with them though and they all seem very well made.

Sweet jesus, I wonder were they will stop.

It would be interesting to destruction test one of these. Stick it in an old cheapie router with a remote speed controller and a camera setup nearby.

Green":1sa5mxyn said:
Sweet jesus, I wonder were they will stop.

It would be interesting to destruction test one of these. Stick it in an old cheapie router with a remote speed controller and a camera setup nearby.

I'll let you do it and watch the youtube video if you are around to post it afterwards (and the camera survives it).

I guess it shows it worth buying good quality cutters from a reputable supplier, no expense spared. I've seen cheep saw blades warp when used in machinery, at 3000rpm plus it not worth it!

Another irresponsible method I've watched is someone using a router cutter from a overhead router in a half inch dewalt hand held router, it was a 70mm diameter cutter, he could hardy hold it steady on start up, even when at slow setting.

Stay safe Tom.

Hi, I use my router for many things, and it holds a high level of respect, aint no chance, any thing that long would even come in my shop. Lord help us!!. Jamey

It was an American Luthiers forum but the seller posts worldwide if you fancy getting one.

Ed Bray":3ntoy9ly said:
I found an even longer one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-pc-1-4-SH-3 ... 1e83629af1

Once it gets bent out of true at maximum revs it won't take long to become a death trap. Absolutely frightening.

I was a bit worried when I saw the colour as I have a lot of Yonico Bits and they are the same colour. I have had no issues with them though and they all seem very well made.

That seems to be the one that bent (or one very simlar to it). I was looking at the original pictures, trying to work out the proportions (and failing). If real, the original one had to be around 3" long.

It's slightly terrifying, especially if you consider that it had to be way out of balance to start with. It can't have been in the collet to the correct depth, either.

The router's a brand I don't recognise. I wonder what it did to the bearings...

It's also worth saying that long cutters don't have to be death traps either. I've got a Wealden 1/2" one that's 75mm long and it's brilliant (TXL1412.7M, I think). I used to use it for planing before I got a proper P/T. It's not got a bearing, but it's still really handy for occasional jobs that need a deep cut (mortising possibly, although I haven't used it that way yet).

Mind you, it was so sharp when it arrived, I cut myself slightly fitting it in the router, and it's stayed pretty sharp, despite being heavily used.

That guy is lucky he didn't get hurt, you might get what you pay for but even if you buying cheaper equipment you don't expect that to happen!

Back