This is For Mailee and His skills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andypo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Mate thought about sending you a PM with reference to your Dado Jig. Do you have any pictures plans or drawings. Reason I ask is that I was round Woody Alans discussing the fact that all these Dado jigs in magazines and online are a lot of work. But the one thing we did conclude is that yours looks the pineapples. Cheers Andy

Hi there Andy, do you mean this jig for cutting dados with the router?
DSCN1245.jpg
If so I do not have any plans but do have a couple of pics of it and a sketchup drawing.

andypo":3pa1tpf5 said:
yours looks the pineapples. Cheers Andy

Wot no pineapples???? :shock:

Bob

If I want a dado, I fit a dado blade into my saw which is designed to take them. Might not to everyone's taste but works for me.

9fingers":2hbcnaw0 said:
andypo":2hbcnaw0 said:
yours looks the pineapples. Cheers Andy

Wot no pineapples???? :shock:

Bob

If I want a dado, I fit a dado blade into my saw which is designed to take them. Might not to everyone's taste but works for me.

Your pineapples is my command :lol: From this day forth Sir b ollocks will be known as Sir pineapples. I was going to let it be known as Sir Bob's, but I thought that might be a bit personal :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Nope, no sorry haven't got any pineapples I am afraid. Whatg I do have though is the Sketchup file I made for the jig. I cribbed the design from one on the Internet but used laminate for mine so it would last a few years. Works well for me too. Yes Bob unfortunitely my saw can't fit a Dado blade as the arbour is only a short one. Mind you this takes very little setup and is easliy adjustable to the width of the shelf. :wink:

Ok guys, here is a pic of the Sketchup file for you. HTH. :wink:
variabledadojig.png

Oops! sorry about the advertising Mods, I forgot I had set up Sketchup for my business. :oops:

barkwindjammer":2vgqbg5i said:
:? are you allowed to PM the file ?

I don't think this forum supports attachments to PMs

Consenting adults have to swap email addresses first to achieve satisfactory electronic intercourse. :lol:

Bob

9fingers":z20lhhh7 said:
barkwindjammer":z20lhhh7 said:
:? are you allowed to PM the file ?

I don't think this forum supports attachments to PMs

Consenting adults have to swap email addresses first to achieve satisfactory electronic intercourse. :lol:

Bob

OOher missus! Electronic intercourse! Is that a virtual reality program? :lol: Seriously if anyone want's a Sketchup plan of it I can send it, just send me your e-mail address by PM. :wink:
I should point out when using this jig you must always use the same cutter and index the same side of the router plate on each side of the jig as not all router base plates are concentric. How do I know this ? :oops:

andypo":3eb932dj said:
But the one thing we did conclude is that yours looks the pineapples. Cheers Andy

I've seen the term 'pineapples' on a number of fora lately. Has the phrase, 'Canus testiculus' fallen out of use?

Just so I can keep abreast of current English Usage and Abusage!

:lol: :lol:

John :)

Maillee - how do you clamp the jig in place? I've made jigs similar to this in the past but, wherever I put a clamp, it ends getting in the way of the router! :x

Just wondering what you do to avoid this?

I have made the sides a little wider so there is enough room to put clamps on Olly. On the underside of mine I have also added some non slip tape which helps a lot. I found that if I was making a cut close to the end of a board with only one clamp fitted it could slip, the tape has cured this problem. HTH. :wink:

Olly
You have to ensure that the raised strips at the edges are wide enough to take a clamp head without interfering with the travel of the router. I suggest 50mm.

I use the same jig, and the nice thing about it is that it cuts any size housing you like, because the width is set by clamping the actual shelf (or whatever it is you are fitting) between the sides of the jig.

Mailee beat me to it. :)

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I have the top end adjustable for reach as well as for width. This makes the whole thing a bit sloppy whilst setting up, but means that the jig can be clamps over both edges of the board rather than just the front edge.

My front strip is thicker than Mailee's which makes for good registration. But his is wider, and I think that is a good idea, as that front strip does get eaten into by the router cutter. If it is thin (as Mailee's) as well as narrow (as mine) you run the risk of routing the thing in half!

S

Thanks, guys. That makes sense. :)

What size cutter have you designed your jigs for? 3/8" diameter? I can't imagine you'd want anything smaller, or else it'd take an age to cut each groove with the shallower passes required... :wink:

Steve, I did build one of yours a while ago but, there was something I didn't like about it... Don't worry; I'm sure it had more to do with the quality of the MDF I had used! :oops: Might have to give it another go now though, after seeing this thread. :)

Back