This could be interesting ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that opinion.Really interesting and i was staggered to learn of a literally astronomical distance measured to within the thickness of a human hair.

It's just popped up - Amazon.co.uk
It may well be worth a read but I'm offended by that image of a thread!!

Using an image of a real thread would be so much easier and better overall. No screw/bolt has ever been made commercially with a sharp V and the run-out at the top could not come to a flat stop :(

And in the future too.
131507-phdsd.jpg

Not sure Waterstones are.much better, owned by US Hedge. Fund with various Bermuda and Cayman holding companies. See if there is a local independent bookseller you can support. At least you can browse the books in Waterstones so I guess it's one step up on Amazon.

stuff matters by prof. Mark Miodownik is another good 'un

"Exactly" is an excellent and entertaining read, well worth anyone's getting hold of.

His trip to Seiko is interesting, and I must admit I found it funny when he said the Seiko people laughed at him when he suggested they swap his Rolex for a Grand Seiko. :)

Next on the list - Why We Get The Wrong Politicians by Isobel Hardman, then on to Stuff Matters. Hitch 22 is worth reading for Christopher Hitchens fans.

"Exactly" is an excellent and entertaining read, well worth anyone's getting hold of.

His trip to Seiko is interesting, and I must admit I found it funny when he said the Seiko people laughed at him when he suggested they swap his Rolex for a Grand Seiko. :)

Next on the list - Why We Get The Wrong Politicians by Isobel Hardman, then on to Stuff Matters. Hitch 22 is worth reading for Christopher Hitchens fans.
+1 to Hitch 22.

A hair's breath in many billions of miles good enough for you?
Sorry no, does that sort of hair breath or is it a hare ? Then is a hairs breath an SI unit, as you know any measurement will have a tolerance, a certainty and repeatability but then you could do a comparative measurement to assertain precision without actual values, here a bubble level can say this is as level as this.
I think Metrology is a fascinating subject, the subject of accuracy often comes up on these forums but how many know that the old method of defining the Kilogram has changed from a standard defining artifact made from Platinum like this which is just a means of comparison to now actual measurement using physical quantities and the Kibble balance. There was a good Tv program about these recent changes which is worth watching.

1709201606193.png

Back