Things that bug you!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet another one having just come back from a socially distanced shopping trip trying to avoid the unmasked virus spreaders.

Why do we have to be subjected to that horrible shop noise whilst in a shop like Morrisons, I believe it is supposed to be music but all to often just a whining background noise that could be a male or female person, I refuse to call them singers. It is really bad in Hayes garden centre in Ambleside where they actually pump it at you even when in the outdoor areas so you cannot escape, sometimes I think it is to confuse / annoy the brain so you make rash decisions and spend more just to get out of the place quicker.

Geoff_S.........sorry TLA.....?

and to add...."init"....
Three Letter Acronyms.

Especially ones that people have made up, that they only know to make themselves feel clever & superior.

PS ... I thinks that's what I might have done by mistake. I'm not that clever or superior :)

PPS ,,, DOY was one I recently came across. It turned out to be Duke of York!

TLAs are well established, as are ETLAs (Extended Three Letter Acronyms) and FETLAs (Further Extended etc).

Don't ever work with the military or aviation if you don't like them!

Last edited:
i used to have 5 minute conversations that were probably 80% TLAs or pure slang and I still can't point with just my finger. I have to use my hand in a vertical chopping motion, my missus thinks I'm retarded

Phone zombies, and lets not forget the phone zombie with a push chair and a dog who is so pre occupied it is amazing the kid survives the ordeal.
I like the approach some of them have of crossing the road - walk to edge of pavement, balance kiddie chair on the back wheels, push front out into the stream of traffic and wait for assorted screechings of brakes, honked horns and shouted expletives before crossing - a whilst texting ane never for a second looking up from the holy phone

...and in so many interviews where someone is " So proud " of everything, anyone and everyone it has almost become the must use pass the bucket phrase .
At least we are no longer subject to "the people's" everything, from Parliament to princess, although that other term "hard-working" applied to anyone and seemingly everyone these days, except those whose jobs are genuinely physical hard work, of course, because they are working-class oiks, is another pet peeve.... (not you see why I chose my avatar, ;) )

i used to have 5 minute conversations that were probably 80% TLAs or pure slang and I still can't point with just my finger. I have to use my hand in a vertical chopping motion, my missus thinks I'm retarded
Where I work we'd say you are a natural banksman and station you outside the gate all day every day

Last edited:
I like being up late. I dislike having to get up in the morning though, its just not fair 😆
The worst thing you can do is go to bed before you are actually knackered.... that usually results in me being awake until 3 or 4, wishing i could go to sleep 😴

😆🤣 that was 3 things 🙃

I actually saw that after I typed it and thought - do I really need to edit posts in the OT for adding on one more thing?

no! :)

Three Letter Acronyms.

Especially ones that people have made up, that they only know to make themselves feel clever & superior.

PS ... I thinks that's what I might have done by mistake. I'm not that clever or superior :)

PPS ,,, DOY was one I recently came across. It turned out to be Duke of York!
TBH I don’t use them…. 🤪

Thanks.

A number of people around here who put up Union flags/jacks to make a political statement don't like it when I point out how many are upside down.
I knew the thin white stip is towarde the pole.
Now I know how it should be when not on a pole. I can be an even bigger mule.:)
Actually upside down is now the political statement. Thanks to all those who are into the big conspiracy. Its easy to spot with most flags but you need a closer look when its the union jack. So they were perhaps ignorant as to what way up it should be or making the ignorant political statement.
Regards
John

When advertisers say that you can do something "in the comfort of your own home". My home, and I'm sure many others are not particularly comfortable. Equally, there must be quite a few homes that are not your own.
Another one is "saving your hard earned cash". My cash was not particularly hard earned. I just went to work, idled my way through the day and got a brown envelope at the end of the month. There are a lot of people who just get the brown (government) envelope without even having to pretend to work.
😁

"SO"......hahaha.....

My wife went shopping for elec sockets and switches this morning.....
we're talking on wattsapp about dif stuff and she showed me a lamp fitting.....
really nice.....anything nice here is mad expensive.....
said sales lady listening in, I said the lamp at €70 euros was a mad price.....
she said we could have a 25% discount for cash....
my pet hate is overpriced stuff...
just sell a lot more, stack em hgh sell em cheap.....

Oh, my Bosch hammer drill (drill n chisel) is buried in a crate so had to buy one from Lidils.....so far equally as good as the bosch but around 25% of the price....
if it lasts OK but a 3 year warranty !!!! (reciept in the box already) very pleased....
saved a lot of bruised knuckles.....hahaha....
just sayin....

I'm becoming confused by the union flag and 'upside down'. Looking at the illustration of the flag, it is possible to turn it upside down in two ways: it can be rotated or flipped top to bottom. If rotated, it remains identical. If flipped, it would still be identical if viewed from the other side - and, when flying, flags always are viewed from both sides. It seems to me that 'upside down' only becomes possible by adding a pole - as Artie suggested a few posts ago. Looking again at the illustration, the flag flying with the pole on its left would be the opposite way up if it were attached to the pole by it's right hand side.
Or am I hopelessly muddled?

Two things related to shipping in the US that bother me:

1) retailers claiming unrestricted items are subject to hazmat shipping (and levying both the hazmat fee plus another service fee)

2) DHL - who likes to open packages and see if they can levy additional customs fees, which sounds odd. Until you find out that they charge a service fee for the service of opening packages to calculate customs fees. The collection of the fees, of course, is automated, so they whack you for something like $15 to collect fees that even the USPS and US customs often don't collect (that's $15 plus the customs fees).

3) any claims process when an insured item is lost in shipping (the shippers usually self insure, so you're arguing with someone who failed to deliver an item or who broke an item and who has a big incentive in trying to find an excuse to not pay). UPS had a guitar of mine stolen at a sorting center, claimed they were opening an investigation (a real person opened the investigation period when I called customer service), waited several weeks (while their automated system gave me timing updates) and when I heard nothing the day the investigation period expired, I called them again and they said they decided not to open the investigation until they were sure that the seller didn't just ship me another one. They then asserted that they couldn't offer a refund until the investigation period elapsed ( a second time )and even then made me sit and answer a list of questions outside of "no, I never got the package and no, nobody sent me another one".

It took hours of time and weeks of waiting to get paid for something that disappeared from their tracking at a very specific location and never re-appeared again.

(a second time, they scheduled two different days to examine a power tool that I bought but that arrived with a broken casting. According to them, I needed to leave it in the packaging in the garage without moving it or they wouldn't cover it - and then never showed up, and thus never paid. 15+ years ago, I didn't know that you could just go to the credit card company and they'd manhandle both UPS and the original seller). )
Ahh, the mighty $ rules so my Houston TX living son tells me! ;):D

I'm becoming confused by the union flag and 'upside down'. Looking at the illustration of the flag, it is possible to turn it upside down in two ways: it can be rotated or flipped top to bottom. If rotated, it remains identical. If flipped, it would still be identical if viewed from the other side - and, when flying, flags always are viewed from both sides. It seems to me that 'upside down' only becomes possible by adding a pole - as Artie suggested a few posts ago. Looking again at the illustration, the flag flying with the pole on its left would be the opposite way up if it were attached to the pole by it's right hand side.
Or am I hopelessly muddled?
yes you are :p

You are thinking in 2 planes only, a flag can also be back to front.

Latest posts

Back