Things that bug you!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mate don't worry your not the first to be caught out, DHL did the same to me from Germany been there done it got the empty wallet to prove.
Also DHL rips you off with their "Brokering fees", as they call it, at least twice that of RM/PF. About 16yrs ago when I was a model railroader, I had a shipment from the US by DHL, they just deliver & then 2 weeks later I get an invoice for x no. of £, only to find they did not bother to use the exchange rate for the $57 shipping, just called it - £57 (The exchange rate then was about £0.65=$1). This was the second or third time it had happened, & each time I followed it up with a phone call demanding a revised & correct invoice. This last time I spoke to a fellow who actually understood my problem in that he gave me his personal no. to which I faxed (don't ask!) ;) my paperwork, -- that was the very last I heard, he'd obviously quashed it. I never used DHL bandits from the US again, stuck to USPS.
I gave up buying from the US when suddenly postal charges virtually doubled overnight a few years later.

I'm with Lazarus, it took me ages to find 'details', it's right there with 'delivery details', not where you'd expect it to be.
Got me wondering now, I ordered, over 10 days ago, some Titebond 'Fast & sticky'. Amaz. had the best inclusive price. After about a week I checked tracking, only to find it's coming from the US, nowhere could I see it in the ad.. Amaz. does the same with stuff from China. At least 'the Bay' tells you where it's coming from.
According to the reply I got the seller has no way of adding the info to their adverts.

The thing that most peeves me is those morons who walk along staring down at their phones and texting as they go
Phone zombies, and lets not forget the phone zombie with a push chair and a dog who is so pre occupied it is amazing the kid survives the ordeal.

Tv adverts, they are becoming such a joke and does anyone take a blind bit of notice anyway. Seems like they want to scam you with life insurance, steal your home having sold you a dozen beds and mattresses and then bury you. Thank god for technology where you can pause and go and do something then come back and whiz through the adverts rather than being mind numbed.

all the woke _wan**rs that are trying to re-write history
Oh yes lets not overlook them, all to often shoved in our face on many programs

and in so many interviews where someone is " So proud " of everything, anyone and everyone it has almost become the must use pass the bucket phrase .

Phone zombies, and lets not forget the phone zombie with a push chair and a dog who is so pre occupied it is amazing the kid survives the ordeal.

Tv adverts, they are becoming such a joke and does anyone take a blind bit of notice anyway. Seems like they want to scam you with life insurance, steal your home having sold you a dozen beds and mattresses and then bury you. Thank god for technology where you can pause and go and do something then come back and whiz through the adverts rather than being mind numbed.

Oh yes lets not overlook them, all to often shoved in our face on many programs

and in so many interviews where someone is " So proud " of everything, anyone and everyone it has almost become the must use pass the bucket phrase .
I, for one, refuse to watch 'live' any programme with adverts. I record what I want & skip ads, or watch 'Ad Free I-Player'.

The same here, BUT apparently both terms are now acceptable:- NOT by me for one.
Not as far as the Marshall of the Royal College of Arms is concerned. His desicion is final in all heraldic matters and he wears hard pointy shoes to prove it

Last edited:
I call them 'phombies, the walking dead of the phone.

Parliament and the Admiralty both say that "Union Jack" and "Union Flag" are both correct terms in all situations. This was even established in an act of Parliament in 1908.

@artie The thin white stripe is to be on the bottom of the red diagonal stripe in the lower left hand corner

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/images/downloads/Union_Flag_5-3_guide_v3.pdf

Thanks.

A number of people around here who put up Union flags/jacks to make a political statement don't like it when I point out how many are upside down.
I knew the thin white stip is towarde the pole.
Now I know how it should be when not on a pole. I can be an even bigger mule.:)

Thanks.

A number of people around here who put up Union flags/jacks to make a political statement don't like it when I point out how many are upside down.
I knew the thin white stip is towarde the pole.
Now I know how it should be when not on a pole. I can be an even bigger mule.:)

Print out copies of the pdf and you can give them official confirmation 👍😁

Two things related to shipping in the US that bother me:

1) retailers claiming unrestricted items are subject to hazmat shipping (and levying both the hazmat fee plus another service fee)

2) DHL - who likes to open packages and see if they can levy additional customs fees, which sounds odd. Until you find out that they charge a service fee for the service of opening packages to calculate customs fees. The collection of the fees, of course, is automated, so they whack you for something like $15 to collect fees that even the USPS and US customs often don't collect (that's $15 plus the customs fees).

3) any claims process when an insured item is lost in shipping (the shippers usually self insure, so you're arguing with someone who failed to deliver an item or who broke an item and who has a big incentive in trying to find an excuse to not pay). UPS had a guitar of mine stolen at a sorting center, claimed they were opening an investigation (a real person opened the investigation period when I called customer service), waited several weeks (while their automated system gave me timing updates) and when I heard nothing the day the investigation period expired, I called them again and they said they decided not to open the investigation until they were sure that the seller didn't just ship me another one. They then asserted that they couldn't offer a refund until the investigation period elapsed ( a second time )and even then made me sit and answer a list of questions outside of "no, I never got the package and no, nobody sent me another one".

It took hours of time and weeks of waiting to get paid for something that disappeared from their tracking at a very specific location and never re-appeared again.

(a second time, they scheduled two different days to examine a power tool that I bought but that arrived with a broken casting. According to them, I needed to leave it in the packaging in the garage without moving it or they wouldn't cover it - and then never showed up, and thus never paid. 15+ years ago, I didn't know that you could just go to the credit card company and they'd manhandle both UPS and the original seller). )

Latest posts

Back