Thieves and burglars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rafezetter":1ekibbon said:
Grayorm":1ekibbon said:
There was a case about a mile from us last year where the guy killed the intruder. He wasn't prosecuted but was then persecuted by family and friends of the thug who broke in. (He stabbed the intruder, I don't know who's knife he used). He's had to move away from the area now.

how did they even know where he lived? unless the burgler knew beforehand and told others where he was going. Surely the police give away names etc?

If the friends etc knew beforehand surely that's grounds for prosecution as an accomplice after the fact?

maybe in cases like this the home owner should be allowed to give evidence anonymously to the court - the same way children are allowed to do.

It was in all the papers as the guy had died, I doubt it would be hard to find out. If you read down to the bottom you'll find they mention another case similar in Salford.

This is it, it wasn't hard to find. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... bed-872616

I was unfortunate enough to have to spend 2 1/2 years in Singapore whilst serving her Magisty in the R.A.F.. Hell, but someone had to do it :mrgreen:

One of the things that the local thugs used when they decided to thieve your home was to use a bamboo stick through the windows at night, which had wrought iron bars on them. The bamboo had razor blades set into the last couple of feet and a hook to grab your valuables, so that if you did wake up and try to grab it you soon let go. Perhaps something like that would work in a jabbing match?

You could always tell the knick-knicks that it is a very good tool for picking the apples off the tree you hope to have one day? :roll: :roll: It would certainly stop any thug grabbing hold of it when it was poked at him?

My mother was told by senior copper years ago that the best thing to was keep a claw hammer by the bed. The reason being that you could always find an excuse for having it there - you been hanging pictures or a drawer was falling apart, for instance. If you had baseball bat, a kitchen knife or anything that wouldn't normally be found in a bedroom, you'd be likely to be prosecuted.

Makes me glad to live where I do. Just today I saw four bikes from the local school all leaned up against my allotment wall and unlocked with helmets hanging from handlebars.

The school's 100m away but a sharp drop so all the kids leave bikes there.even the teachers. I remember thinking that wouldn't last long in uk..I left workshop door and window open accidentally for a week whilst in uk and didn't worry about it.

It's one major reason I'm glad my wife made me move here.

That plus my garden shed workshop is now a sixty square metre shop ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

:cry: I didn't lock doors until two years ago when I had someone walk in and nick some stuff including a bunch of keys, (which caused mayhem). It was as well it wasn't the other bunch as they were for the bank where she works. Then I had a trailer nicked, and another brand new one 10 months later. A load of men turned up at 3.00am and chucked it on the back of a low loader, locks and all. A copper told me six hours later that it would already be in the midlands - this is west Cornwall. My grandmother lived in her house without even owning keys to either door. I'd have the bastarrds whipped.

Well being woodworkers I guess we all have a bit of odd wood under the bed. I also have a large panel saw under there. It would be a brave man, even with a knife that would try attacking me whith that in hand, whirling it around my head. I have also been a martial artist for over 30 years, but, it think it would give the guy an instant idea that he would come out worst.he couldn't even try to grab it.

The cowards make my blood boil

Think most of us on here dabble on ebay so next time you sell something photograph it in your bedroom, repeat this process over a year or so and you will have an impressive archive of evidence in your defence.

As an amateur tool dealer I would be spoilt for choice as I keep a lot of stock in my bedroom.

phil.p":32vbo3zp said:
Be honest - you go to bed with a Lie Nielsen No. 7, don't you? :)

A running joke on OLDTOOLS is that a #8 is most useful for fending off angry pitbulls.

On that nameless auction site, I really thought I had found a great
buy -- a 608C (Bedrock pitbull pacifier) -- mislabeled as a #8. Good
wood, although lots of surface rust.

On the positive side, the 900 series planes were drop forged, and are difficult to
break. In the jointer sizes, they make particularly effective pit
bull deterents.

and the Stanley #8 (pitbull defensive weapon, Jeff) worked like a charm

I too love my #6C and recently divested myself of a #7 as the pitbull
I share shopspace with didn't even blink when he got clunked in the
head with it.

It's not unknown to hurt yourself (or a pitbull) with a plane....

On the first diagonal pass, the pitbull taming plane knocked the board ...

(etc)

BugBear

Blimey I can get a few car fulls for £380 :shock: Besides think I can throw an unbranded 4 a lot further.

rafezetter":2ywpcwap said:
small hand spray full of something flammable and a lighter - you see them, spray and tell them what it is then light the lighter - chances of them rushing you... small.

At best you'll douse them enough to give them flash burns at most - but scare the **** out of them just the same.

no-one likes to be set on fire.

Failing that - baseball bat with nails (and something nasty and infecting on the nails) - don't care, with children in the house I'd do my best to kill at least one.

You need to be scary enough for them to go someplace else, but with more scary mofo's they meet, they might stop B&E's

One problem Rafe,

You MUST be prepared to do the business. Not just think about it; actually DO it, because if you don't follow through, you stand a good chance of being hurt even more. The average 'Joe', doesn't really want to hurt anyone, and the fear of killing or seriously injuring someone is always there, regardless of circumstances. That's the difference between them and us buddy! :wink:

Benchwayze":tkrkgwy8 said:
rafezetter":tkrkgwy8 said:
small hand spray full of something flammable and a lighter - you see them, spray and tell them what it is then light the lighter - chances of them rushing you... small.

At best you'll douse them enough to give them flash burns at most - but scare the **** out of them just the same.

no-one likes to be set on fire.

Failing that - baseball bat with nails (and something nasty and infecting on the nails) - don't care, with children in the house I'd do my best to kill at least one.

You need to be scary enough for them to go someplace else, but with more scary mofo's they meet, they might stop B&E's

One problem Rafe,

You MUST be prepared to do the business. Not just think about it; actually DO it, because if you don't follow through (I probably will just the wrong kind), you stand a good chance of being hurt even more. The average 'Joe', doesn't really want to hurt anyone, and the fear of killing or seriously injuring someone is always there, regardless of circumstances. That's the difference between them and us buddy! :wink:

Quite true, so I'll just pretend it's my private school nemesis Michael Blunt *may he rot in hell sometime soon*, and I'll turn that burglar into a PG tips t-bag (with 2,000 perforations.... ) I get my revenge and an asshat gets removed from the genepool.

rafezetter":1eqcnbu0 said:
Quite true, so I'll just pretend it's my private school nemesis Michael Blunt *may he rot in hell sometime soon*, and I'll turn that burglar into a PG tips t-bag (with 2,000 perforations.... ) I get my revenge and an asshat gets removed from the genepool.

Wow :shock: Rein in those anger issues bro' you'll be getting an ulcer.
Or maybe lay off the caffeine a little :lol:

Makes me glad to live where I live, property and burglary crimes are pretty rate on a national level. I didn't have locks installed on my house for 9 months and never had an issue. Kids leave their bikes in the ditch next to the bus stop. The contractor who did my floor left his equipment out behind house after he went home, even over the weekend.

Just don'tgive the theives time to react, get in close jab to the throat or solar Plexus and they will go down fast, also make as much noise as you can as this will distract them. If they do have a weapon (say a knife) they wont be able to draw it back enough to stab and by the time they have raised their arm up, you would have already got in and done the deed that needs to be done. The other will almost be off by what they have witnessed.

riclepp":2svl39p8 said:
Just don'tgive the theives time to react, get in close jab to the throat or solar Plexus and they will go down fast, also make as much noise as you can as this will distract them. If they do have a weapon (say a knife) they wont be able to draw it back enough to stab and by the time they have raised their arm up, you would have already got in and done the deed that needs to be done. The other will almost be off by what they have witnessed.

Might be best to ignore Rambo's :) "advice". Just do a runner and call the cops. It ain't Hollywood.

riclepp":2z44of8f said:
Who's says anything about Hollywood Noel' just reality

You're ex SAS, Seal, Delta Force, one them secret outfits, eh?

Nope none of the above. See avitar numpty. Also being doing martial arts for 15 years and is a technique taught by most as self defence, so no rambo at all.

Noel you are really proving to be a complete silly person!

Latest posts

Back