Thicknesser, table saw and biscuit jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byyt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello. My workshop is currently tooled with a Dewalt DW713 XPS mitre saw, Dewalt jig saw, Makita 5704RX circular saw, various sanders, Erbauer multi tools, Bosch GHO 26-82 planer and Bosch GKF 600 palm router. On reflection several of the above i.e. the Makita and Bosch pieces hardly ever come out of the boxes and were probably bought through lack of experience and a compulsive desire to collect power tools. :?

I now need a thicknesser, table saw and a biscuit jointer with a combined budget of absolutely no more than £1K and preferably less. I would be very interested and grateful to hear what you would recommend.

Thicknesser or table thicknesser?

You should be able to do it secondhand, with relative ease.

I have gone for

Axi ct330 thicknesser
Kity 618 saw
And have just sold a decent biscuit jointer- a makita 3901. I sold it because I bought a domino.

That lot would have been well within your budget- I forget what I paid for the thicknesser.

None are kit that I will never want to upgrade, but they are solid and not cheap and cheerful ones that you will outgrow. I may change the thicknesser for a planer thicknesser due to space- still undecided. If I can find a bigger standalone planer I will keep it.

Thanks for the very fast replies. Would be happy to go second hand as money is very tight. I was thinking about a table thicknesser as I am limited for space. The suggestions are really interesting and I'll search here for reviews etc. Originally I had thought about Dewalt DW733 + Dewalt DW745, which I can pick up for around £820 but thats only because I have very limited experience of brands outside the the handheld arena. Having wasted money on tools that don't do the job I wanted, I need to get this purchase right. I may well sell the mistakes but would, I guess only get a fraction of what I paid.

The ct330 is bench top- there are a few that are aimilar in design. It is a heavy thing to lift up and down but is manageable.

Planer/thicknesser I have one of these (cost new £289)
http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/c ... x-5?cid=62
(….a bit loud but does the job well. I've just put a pile of mahogany, beech and white oak through mine and got a lovely finish)

Table saw cost new £259 (or £319 packaged with extension table and sliding carriage)
http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/1 ... saw?cid=79.

Plenty left in the kitty for top of the range biscuit jointer if you want one.

You are not far from the Charnwood unit in Bardon Leics. Go and have a look at their stuff and I suspect they would do a deal if you were buying a lot of kit.

Thanks inoffthered. I had a look at the Charnwood 14in bandsaw, which looked like a nice piece of kit. I'll definitely have a trip up to Bardon. Thanks.

I have the W730 (the Charnwood 14" bandsaw) with blade from Tuffsaws and imho it is a good piece of kit.
It was an ex demo model and was quite a bit cheaper than list…..and it looked as if it hardly been used.

I'm recycling old pallet wood for a flooring project hence my need of a table saw but will probably get a band saw in the future. Was impressed with the demo I got of the W730. Nice work on getting a discounted price.

I would factor a metal detector and a stiff brush into your budget. You will save the cost in planer blades due to not hitting grit and metal.

I hear what you are saying. I have a large bucket of nails, a pallet dismantler and a metal detector for my efforts so far!

Latest posts

Back