Thewoodhaven website....gone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick Gibbs":3nxlo5j9 said:
I've been trying to contact Tom, but with no luck. I've tended to think that forums are best not linked to a magazine, but I was wondering if I could take it over, and make it a forum for all things wood, to include Living Woods as well, so a touch of forestry and green woodworking and other things.

Well as the domain is registered till Dec 2015, you're going to struggle a bit to keep the domain, if you can't get hold of Tom (or whoever registered it).

FWIW most magazine forums I've ever seen haven't gone well. The only decent ones I've ever been involved in were a car forum (Practical Performance Car). The other ones that do well were big forums before they were bought out by magazines (Visordown (who seem to be indy again) and Bit-tech).

Also personally I find the number of woodworking forums (and that the same people post on all the forums) slightly annoying. Don't really think another one is needed.

I tend to agree, Morfa. I'd only go ahead if Tom was willing to part with it and if I felt there was a benefit from having a site that links to all my wood-related magazines, and offers something different. I'm not that keen on the idea, but you never know until you start pushing out feelers. I own other URLs that could be used as a catch-all forum/hub, but was interested in the idea of taking on an existing entity.

The main uk magazine-related woodworking forum seems heavily moderated, perhaps understandably. Any controversy is nipped in the bud. As a consequence, it seems pretty dull.

I wouldn't have time to moderate a forum that heavily!!!!! I'd only do it if I think there is potential for a forum that covers a wide swathe of topics, from forestry to workshop layouts. My instinct is that there is not, but you never know unless you try.

Silverbirch":30e8st5o said:
The main uk magazine-related woodworking forum seems heavily moderated, perhaps understandably. Any controversy is nipped in the bud. As a consequence, it seems pretty dull.
Can you expect open views and content on a magazine supporting forum where some of the same contributors are vying for magazine article publication income or content exposure?

I have to say I never saw the need for The a different place when Tom set it up. That said, now its gone it would be a shame to lose the content thats on there. A lot of people have put a lot of effort into helping others and I have some pages bookmarked for future use.

I have no idea why its gone (though I do understand its links to Intelligent Workshop and whats happened there). If Tom is unable to bring it back online I personally think the best option would be for one of the mods over there to take it over. For me forums are best run by the members for the members, not as an enterprise. I think Tom did a fairly good job most of the time of separating it from IW. I don't think new members would have any idea he owned both and Im pretty sure I'm right to think TWH came before IW anyway.

The only real need for any company links is for advertising of the type we have here, which I believe generates a modest income towards the running costs.

If Charlie ever wants to bail from here (and I believe his interest in wood has very different today, since he was quite young when he set this place up) I hope he would take the steps to pass ownership to the mods to preserve its content. In fact he probably deserves a big thanks for keeping this place going like he does (and the mods) when its no longer his thing.

Mark

The Bear":6s3z5lif said:
In fact he probably deserves a big thanks for keeping this place going like he does (and the mods) when its no longer his thing. Mark

Too right. It is an amazing resource.

That would be a great shame if it has folded.
I haven't posted for quite some time and only rarely visited but there was a lot of sensible advice without the bickering which is exactly why Tom set it up.

Bob

Nick
It might be worth sending a PM to Bob (9fingers) on here, as he was running the a different place forum for Tom. He will know what the status is - he's also one of the most helpful characters I've come across and has sorted out a couple of motor issues for me.

There is some irony in the fact that one of Toms biggest complaints about UKW was the inability to contact Charlie, it would seem the the same is now true of Tom & has been for quite some months now.

From my experience in the past with Tom, he was always quite affable and approachable; so I feel there might be some valid reason he is 'off the radar'. .

SurreyHills":2ek7pbuc said:
Nick
It might be worth sending a PM to Bob (9fingers) on here, as he was running the a different place forum for Tom. He will know what the status is - he's also one of the most helpful characters I've come across and has sorted out a couple of motor issues for me.
I'm afraid that Bobs account on UKW is no longer active, therefore PM,s or e-mails via UKW will not be delivered.

Chas
Is bob actually banned? I have a feeling he thinks he is. If I remember it was a pathetic spat over him endorsing some gear that he demonstrated. It was said at the time plenty of others on here do the same but for some reason bob was singled out. Now I might be wrong and he chose to leave but I have a feeling he still likes this place and would frequent again
Perhaps you could clarify whether he is welcome. The membership would seem to like him back from comments on this thread.

Mark

The Bear":1on27pzv said:
Chas
Is bob actually banned? I have a feeling he thinks he is. If I remember it was a pathetic spat over him endorsing some gear that he demonstrated. It was said at the time plenty of others on here do the same but for some reason bob was singled out. Now I might be wrong and he chose to leave but I have a feeling he still likes this place and would frequent again
Perhaps you could clarify whether he is welcome. The membership would seem to like him back from comments on this thread.

Mark

I will once and for all put the record straight from my perspective.
At the time a different place was set up by Tom and several regular members migrated from UKW to that site a lot of hurtful comments were made about UKW and the owner.

When Intelligent tools was set up as a trading business it had the opportunity to subscribe to UKW costs with paid advertising, it chose not to.

Mention of the Haven or intelligent tools was not blocked on UKW any more than several other business are but it was expected that a certain amount of discretion was used in promoting sales etc. and other businesses are often asked to pull back on self promotion if they are not paying for the exposure.

Indeed this site has in the past supported several start up projects, unfortunately in a couple of instances, members failed to see the difference between helping a starting enterprise and using the forum for continued commercial promotion once up and running without considering financial support for the forum.

It was in this vein that members starting threads relating to reviews of and the demonstration and promotion of items stocked by intelligent tools were worded appropriately so that they did not read as overt advertising.

Private off site communications regarding this subject failed to reach a consensus that was acceptable to some members, some of which made a conscious decision not to continue participation in UKW and made public statements to this effect.

Some of these accounts were not banned but were in effect subjected to the same result as far as other members were concerned by being de-activated. This was to avoid an accumulation of PM's that were likely to go unanswered amongst other things.

Personally I have the greatest respect for Bobs knowledge on the subject of motors and associated supplies and have always maintained links to his offerings on my personal web site and why UKW leaves his details available in his old posts signatures.

Any member that is having difficulty in accessing their account has only to get a message to one of the mods to have the account checked and if possible sorted.

I think it could be comming back in some form. Sad to see it go, it was a very decent place.

G S Haydon":3onf3p0z said:
I think it could be comming back in some form. Sad to see it go, it was a very decent place.

Do you have a reason to think it is coming back?

Personally, I am worried about Tom. I have always been able to contact him via private email, and yet have heard nothing from him for a week. I really hope he hasn't had health issues.

RogerS":3onf3p0z said:
Well hope that some of the folk on the a different place pop back in here as I'd hate to lose touch with some of them.

Hello Roger :)

I am just about to start building a new workshop, and was going to run a full blog-style thread on it (after a long absence from woodwork). Now I haven't a clue where best to post it.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Long time no see. Good to see you back.

I'm quite sure we would all like to see your WIP, on your shop. It could go in projects here maybe.
I'll look forward to it.

John

Mike Garnham":1anezov6 said:
I am just about to start building a new workshop, and was going to run a full blog-style thread on it (after a long absence from woodwork). Now I haven't a clue where best to post it.

Mike

Here Here Here. I would love to read about your workshop build.

I have missed a lot of people who offered me some really good advice so I hope I am able to welcome some back.

Mick

Latest posts

Back