The Ultimate Axminster TS-200 Fence Upgrade!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhigh_Arb

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I recently purchased a Axminster TS-200 table saw, although I was very happy with my purchase I quickly realised that the rip fence was just not quite up to scratch.

So after a few days of researching every bit of information I could find on the internet I came to the conclusion that nobody seems to have fitted a real fence to these saws. I then made it my mission to find a way to fit a Biesemeyer T Square type fence.

As many of you will already know these are the ultimate table saw fences and really add a professional approach to ripping any material. The T Square design also allows many types of home made jigs to be used in conjunction with the fence.

My choice of fence was unfortunately not a Biesemeyer as these reatil for around £300 and instead managed to get a Delta T2 36-T30 as these are a clone and only cost around £100. It has received very good reviews in the United States and for the price its a bargain especially as Delta own Biesemeyer and therefore have built this fence along side them.

Here are some before and after photos. I also have a full set of photos of fitting my fence and will be making a guide on how to fit.

Photo545.jpg

Photo546.jpg

Photo547.jpg

Photo550.jpg

Photo549.jpg

Photo548.jpg

Photo579.jpg

Photo578.jpg

Photo577.jpg

I have not fitted a rear rail yet as I will be building a cabinet for the saw.

Thank you, nice to know its appreciated. This modification has completely transformed the saw as the fence is rock solid and completely adjustable so I can cut in a straight line. Before max cut to the right 750mm now 1250mm!!!

Well worth the couple of hours in the cold fitting and fabricating it last night!!

Evening Liam,

Yes unfortunately the only way to get hold of a decent fence is to get it from the US.

Thanks Will

Nicely done Sir! So where did the fence come from, did the £100 include the rails and did the £100 include the shipping cost and taxes as well or were they all on top?

I have one of these saws now and would be interested in such a modification if it was all in for £100, but that seems a bit cheap to me!

Thanks for any info,

Steve

Sorry fence and rails come as a package for around £100, shipping it over is about £150 or go for a holiday and come back with it. However its a very large and heavy package so which ever way you do it its going to be expensive.

I managed to modify the saw and fence to fit with all of about £10

Hope this helps. I will be doing a full guide into this, and next time I go over to the US I shall be collecting another fence. As they are worth every penny.

OOOOkkkaaaaayyy........what happens to the stability of the TS200 when you wack the Big B off to the right...an' the weight of the Big B is acting through the considerable moment of the distance (1250mm you said?). form it to the saw base ....an' that's some weight ..an' the end of the Big B is unsupported at the end away from the operator...Not bein' narky y'unnerstand, just really curious!! :D :D

Sam

PS I've got a smashing wee TS200 too, so I'm not being a hypocrite!

What a smashing job. If as Sammie says it becomes unstable, it would be an easy enough job to fit something like the blue leg on the sliding table.

1332_C_b3.jpg

My only worry would be kickback on that full length fence, did you buy the add on short fence that attaches to the long one?

Your a very brave man to take on what to me would have looked impossible conversation.

Cheers

Mike

Hey,

weight has not been a problem at all, I find that its sitting very stable at the moment however only just fitted so not been fully tested yet.

As mentioned before I will be building a cabinet for it to sit on which will make it all that bit more stable.

I did originally think of fitting a leg or 2 at the end for taking that extra weight but if I get round to building my cabinet I wont need to worry about this.

Did not buy the additional fence as these can be knocked up easily for a few pounds, so cant justify the silly money that they want for them.

Once I have fully tested it I will be posting a full review and step by step fitting guide with full photos. It really was a very easy fit, the most difficult part is getting hold of a decent fence.

Thanks Will

Skyhigh_Arb":guzhlm5s said:
Sorry fence and rails come as a package for around £100, shipping it over is about £150 or go for a holiday and come back with it. However its a very large and heavy package so which ever way you do it its going to be expensive.

Hope this helps. I will be doing a full guide into this, and next time I go over to the US I shall be collecting another fence. As they are worth every penny.

Okay, so that about £260 for a decent fence. I guess for the price of the TS plus £260 you cannot get a much better table saw so looks like you have a neat solution.Well done!

Steve

StevieB":3fdjabi6 said:
Skyhigh_Arb":3fdjabi6 said:

Okay, so that about £260 for a decent fence. I guess for the price of the TS plus £260 you cannot get a much better table saw so looks like you have a neat solution.Well done!

Steve

I agree, however, I can't really fault the upgrade I did with the bandsaw fence from Axi. You're welcome to come and have a look at mine.

I do think its a lot of money to spend as a upgrade, at the end of the day its almost as much as the saw itself.

However it really is worth every penny and anyone is welcome to come and see it in action.

There are ways to cut costs it does not have to be expensive! If you or a friend is conveniently travelling back from America. Luckily I have family out there and we are all on flight concessions. We also get cargo allowance so I have a few ways of getting things over.

I know this will not apply to all, perhaps its time to take the family to Disney for a holiday?

And its still a cheaper option importing it then buying the Incra system available here, not only that but the T Square system is far more versatile!

Thanks Will

£150 for shipping I missed that :shock: What company did you ship with? That's the trouble with p&p costs from the US, there is such a huge difference. I forget the exact figures but I had about $350 worth of goods shipped from Woodpeckers, and the cost I was given for shipping on their website was $300 using UPS, with 7 to 10 days delivery. So I emailed them asking if they could give me some quotes from other companies, and in the end I went with USPS at a cost of $54 with a 3 to 5 day delivery.

All the other quotes were around $70 to $110 which begs the question Why are UPS charging so much? One thing that made the above costs better was the £ to the $ which at the time was very good, but you still have to shop about for shipping. I know that your fence is probably heavy, but I still thing you could have got it for at least half the cost if you had gone with someone else.

On the other hand, because you have made such a huge difference to your saw it still has to be well worth the cost.

Although I am satisfied with the fence on my 01446 SIP table saw, I am tempted to make the change. Do you think I would have any problems?

Cheers

Mike

Afternoon Mike,

I looked into shipping a lot and was getting quotes of up to $450, I think the cheapest I found in the end was with DHL at around £75 plus vat plus fuel charge. I just allowed a little extra as you would also get hit with vat and import duties on receiving the item.

You have to keep in mind that the package in total is 1.5 M in length by 40cm in height and 15cm in width if I remember correctly and it weighs 23kg!!

Couriers get all a little funny about heavy and large items and like to stick a silly price tag on shipping them.

As for upgrading your fence on the SIP 01446, I have personally experience with this saw, therefore not the best person to comment on it. However if its straight and does what you want it to do I don't see any reason to replace it.

If it aint broken why fix it?

The only reason I changed mine is because I thought it was a complete waste of space and wanted something a hell of a lot better that I could adjust a make jigs for.

From the photos on the net yours seems fairly good but as I said I have no experience with your saw.

Many thanks Will

Xcalibur saws from Woodford in UK use an almost identical fence in their delta cabinet saw copies (the only saw I know of sold in UK that takes a dado head)
However I did find slight stress twists in the aluminium extrusions meant that the two faces were neither parallel nor at 90 degrees to the table all along their length.
An hour or so messing about with paper shims soon had it in tune though.

Might be worth a check on yours. The problem only comes to light edge grooving panels or when working with the fence to the left of the blade usually with the blade tilted.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the advice, the rails on mine are mild steel not aluminium so a little heavier duty. Have not fully set it up yet however at the moment from basic set-up its already pretty good.

Thanks Will

Will,

I was talking about the fence FACES and those look just the same as mine and are aluminium extrusions.

Your might be fine but worth a check rather than leave it until you are in the middle of a job to discover a problem.

Bob

Agh with you now Bob, will have to check seems ok but must admit I have not paid too close attention yet.

Will

Back