The tool you can't do without?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLH

Reaction score
What is everyone's one tool they can't do with out, the tool that's allways in your tool belt

Mine is the mini 150mm bacho square it's only about £6 and it comes in so handy, I end up going nuts if I forget where I've put it down on site

Mine is my 6" steel rule thats always in my pocket - used daily for besides the obvious, cutting open packaging, scraping off excess paint, silicone, caulk etc, cleaning my fingernails, scratching my back etc etc lol Ive even used it to jimmy open locked doors at work when keys havent been available lol !

I want to say my skew chisel(s), however I'm forced to agree that i'm lost without my steel ruler...

In fact when I worked in the sawmill, we kept two on our machine, one numbered and calibrated which sat next to the vernier calipers, the other (which the toolroom had helpfully marked "precision machinists scraper" using a letterpunch) floated around the various surfaces being used for all manner of daily tasks.

My dads 150mm Moore and Wright, calibrated, loved and cared for, precious stainless steel rule. Which is absolutely great for scraping and ... err even measuring (sometimes).

Hard one...I had to think for ages but then I decided my Scottish panel plane...

DSC_0438.JPG

I would be totally lost without it for almost all planing jobs...it's the perfect size in my opinion.

Jim

A pencil, and another pencil for when I lose the first one, and maybe another for when I mislay the second......well about 5 pencils.

Ollie

Sadly these days it's a digital vernier :-(

More 'manual': I've got a cabinetmakers' screw turn (Ward, IIRC), which is just the right size for planes and doing the locks on the bandsaw and things like that. It's always on the bench - belonged to my wife's grandfather. He munged up the blade a bit - the point's a bit too sharp and thin for the size, really, but it doesn't matter for my use, and it reminds me of him when I use it.

E.

Latest posts

Back