The tool you can't do without?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0.3 mm mechanical pencil - till i drop the blasted thing and it all ends up a bit bitty- closely followed by some 3 inch angle ally for marking out

sent from my mobile using fat fingers

OK, let's 'fess up to being a total hand-tool philistine - as a general rule (admittedly mostly outside the workshop) the tool of choice is a cheap copy of a Swiss Army knife that is always with me :oops:

My old favourite was not a shop tool , rather a field tool. The Lee Valley catalogue described the box tool as a blunt instrument. On one very ugly handle were perched a hammer , hatchet blade , nail puller , pry bar. In farm country like where I live , a true fencing line toolbox on a stick. For a long while it was my boon companion on any foray to the fields, just slip it through a belt loop.
When I bought it at the outlet store the clerk asked what I wanted it for (city boy). Without missing a beat I sneered " gonna confuse the heck outta the medical examiner' and left with my new toy. Didn 't even wait to see if he got the joke.

So is it specifically a double edge flat on one side marking knife? Like this one

Bug Bear did that for us to save us time. Some nice tools on those links though.

I've mentioned this one a time or two before, but for those who may like the tip - my tool I couldn't do without is a screwdriver; a cheap plastic-handled 6" slotted job from Halford's bargain bin. It is never used to turn screws. It is used for levering tin lids open, stirring varnish, poking gunge out of odd corners, scraping dried paint and oil off things, throwing at unwanted workshop visitors.....well maybe the last is a slight exaggeration, but you get the drift. It saves my decent screwdrivers for turning screws.

Latest posts

Back