The Salvager

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always thoroughly enjoyed Rico. Some of his projects aren't to my taste for sure but my goodness he's entertaining, he's got personality oozing from every pore and even if I don't like the finished item (like that tv cab for starters) I still learn something about the process of incorporating metal into a design. I think he's an immensely imaginative maker with a unique approach. The tele is a much poorer place without him and I for one would strongly support any form of channel which meant more Rico, You tube or otherwise.

I'm starting to wish I'd not mentioned the guy :lol:

Seriously, I like some of his stuff but it's his obsession with wax that gets me. He waxes EVERYTHING in sight!

yes he is a bit bonkers for "medium brown" wax isn't he. Especially any iron work, he really relishes the waxing of it. Coach screws is his other love :)

But I find his shows very entertaining and he seems a genuinely good hearted bloke

Somebody should tell him about linseed oil. I put it on everything. :shock:

No skills":1qzept72 said:
If anybody does have contact with Rico, tell him to sort out a YouTube channel and do his stuff on there. Good enough for Frank/Jimmy and all the rest of them - plus he's got an instant audience waiting once he's up and running.

His collective followers have been trying just that for quite a while, but unfortunately about 18 months or so ago he had a stroke - he's made close to a full recovery, but for now he's been doing other things.

He uses wax predominately because it's fast and gets a sheen - brush it on, rub it off, ..done.. If he used Danish he might then have to explain the "every day for a week...." plus that isn't really the finish for the furniture he makes, same for polyurethane. He doesn't ALWAYS use medium brown... he has been known to dabble with natural...

I've never said everything he makes is wonderful - like the aformentioned TV cabinet, I agree it's fairly hideous, but it made me start looking around at things differently, and led to my BBQ being made from scraps lying about (MK2 is in the wings for this summer as we speak.... annoyingly I had to wait 3 years for our replacement washing machine to pack up before I could make MK 2 :)) Conversly his reclaimed theodilte tripod lamp is pretty inspired (and there's variations made deliberately that way, for sale new).

4 doors, plywood sheet from a packing pallet, screws, hinges + a couple slops of leftover paint = useable wardrobe not firewood; how hard is that to understand?

n0legs - Sorry I bit harder than normal, but as I wrote as well as Rico being someone I know, he is, as others have clearly worked out on their own, an enabler; it's not the quality of his work that's the message, it's the message behind the work that was important - something you seem to have overlooked. Like the car axle on the table - I thought it was innovative, just like the car engine block coffee table's you see for sale, or the back end of a cadillac turned into a sofa; innovative and DO-ABLE - even for my limited skillset. For the right person that table is a "perfect" piece of furniture, that that person isn't you diminishes the look and idea behind it not one whit. Do I slate Jackson Pollack just because I don't really "get it"? No, I don't.

On the "Welsh Pride" thing; a bit of a fail there :) I'm Welsh on my fathers side, I've worked in Wales by choice - spent many childhood holidays in Portcawl, Camber Sands and such, released ashes of a good friend at the top of Pen-y-fan on the plateau, my choice; "somewhere nice" was all she said; and my best mate lives in Brecon - the town not the area - and I'd move there in a heartbeat if there was more work of my kind in the area, parts of Wales are stunning.

I totally agree. If you watch Rico expecting fine furniture and precision techniques then you might just as well flip the channel and find Norm. But if you have any tolerance for good old fashioned British eccentricity then he's right up there. That old organ conversion into a computer desk was another goodie but I agree that the tranny van roof into a boat was a classic :) Not only all the salvaging expertise but then he goes and starts speaking French pretty dam fluently as well! Is there no end to the mans talent (blues harp too).

rafezetter":fqxmfxu1 said:
..... I'd move there in a heartbeat if there was more work of my kind in the area, parts of Wales are stunning.
Absolutely. I lived and worked in mid Wales for a number of years. Always wanted to go back. Wales is one of Britain's best kept secrets!

Ah Wales......yes of course. But Rico, personally I enjoy his shows and quite like his approach. Agreed the final products may be a bit mixed but at least it's a bit different to the guys who seem to turn out top notch stuff in only half an hour. We are gaining on it now!!!

I prefer Rico's "wax everything" policy to Norm's polyurethane.... :shock:

I've always been impressed by the way that when Rico looks at some scaffold boards and rusty bucket, he sees a complete kitchen with enough offcuts for a small wardrobe. I wish I had that kind of vision

I know an awful lot of Americans and have travelled there countless times on business. I can say without fear of contradiction (and Norm is just symptomatic of this)....they like shiny furniture! I don't understand whats going on there but there it is?

I think Rico pieces are more about his "eye" than any crafts skills; I think that any ONE
of his pieces would like quite spectacular, in the right house.

Any more than one of them, and your house would start to look like the local allotment!

BugBear

rafezetter":6j7wib93 said:
- spent many childhood holidays in Portcawl, Camber Sands and such,

If you have been to Camber Sands in Wales, please tell those thieving gits in East Sussex that we want them back. :shock:

whiskywill":2e5qshq4 said:
rafezetter":2e5qshq4 said:
- spent many childhood holidays in Portcawl, Camber Sands and such,

If you have been to Camber Sands in Wales, please tell those thieving gits in East Sussex that we want them back. :shock:

Lol sorry, I meant Pendyne sands.... oops :)

Latest posts

Back