The lathe is dead - long live the lathe...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":2u0zjpgw said:
Because the post will likely as not get taken down.
I think only if one gives a direct link to a current item. Mentioning the name of the place does no more harm than any other source of supply, Axminster, Rutland etc. which are quoted every day in many posts.

On another current thread an eBay item is being discussed (no link) and a mod has happily (it seems) joined in.

Hi,

Phil has first dibs on what is there. There are actually 2 belts. An almost new replacement one (changed it when trying to sort out other issues) and the one that was in the machine which is was not in bad condition at all. If Phil does not want both, you are welcome to one.

I am supposed to be on hols so i think Phil is getting back to me in a week with what he wants.

All the castings were out front for the last week waiting for scrap man to collect. I caught a couple of chaps trying to walk off with a few lumps... need to remember to lock the garage tonight.

BM.

It should get posted today. It is a slightly different length than the original but still fits as the motor can be adjusted backwards and forwards about an inch. The original spec belt is no longer available. A helpful man at Poolewood pointed me in the right direction. If you search the forums there is some advice on how to change the belt I believe. But the short version from memory:

1) Clean up as much dust as you can unless you plan to change the bearings at the same time - otherwise you will contaminate the bearings.
2) Adjust lathe to high speed - makes it easier.
3) Take off top plate of headstock.
4) Slacken motor mounts - three hex machine screws.
5) Remove the orange access plate.
6) Use allen key to release the spring on the motor shaft - may want to use an open ended spanner or similar to hold the spring washer in place as the spring is quite strong.
7) Remove spring and slide back cone.
8) Unscrew the index ring and then unscrew the locking nut (which I think has a grub screw?) that sits behind the index ring.
9) Unscrew grub screws on the the spindle shaft cone - the one on the thread end of the spindle.
10) Tap out shaft using soft mallet - you will need to slide the cones down.
11) You should now be able to remove the belt.
12) Reverse to re-assemble. Do not over-tighten the the retaining nut on the shaft as it will put too much pressure on the bearings. Tighten until there is no discernible play and you should be good. Check again after running for a bit.

While it is all apart you may want to consider replacing the bearings - a seized may take out the shaft and that is goodbye lathe. There are 3, front and back and one in the cone assembly, I am sure I have listed the bearing numbers in an earlier thread if you are interested in doing this - in fact here 0-t56834.html[/url]

BM

Back