The joys of a well tuned plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1693

Established Member
Reaction score
20231218_163716.jpg

Looks great! Share some details :) what did you do to tune it up?

There is a satisfaction when it goes well. I guess the joy of a well tuned plane should be the aim because its a right scunner when its not going well.
Regards
John

Nice! - I bet it makes a swishing noise too as it cuts, I remember one notable plane fettler and craftsman extolling the virtues of this on a Radio 4 documentary on the subject. Can't remember his name but when sharpened and setup correctly they do make a satisfying sound as you glide over the surface - as well as producing a lovely almost mirror-like finish!
Am sure someone will remember his name..

Nice. I can occasionally get a shaving like that but it depends on the wood.
Considering that I was banned from woodworking class at school due to inability & that a skilled neighbour says that I'm doing it on purpose because nobody can be that bad, I must have improved.
I put it down to the confidence given by using a Veritas Mk11 guide to sharpen the irons. Well, good enough to clean & sharpen a bunch of old chisels for a local Men's Shed.
Those of you that plane & sharpen regularly have an advantage over the likes of me that might only need to plane a piece of wood by hand once a year.

Back