The hand tool school? Any good

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been looking for a beginners woodworking course when I stumbled across this

http://www.handtoolschool.net/

Anyone got any comments on it, I've watched one of his videos before and it was really useful.

I'm tempted because I can't really afford a full blown course with both money and time and this looks like it could be just what I was looking for.

The alternative would be to get one on one tuition for a day, but I don't know if I will get enough out of that for it to be justified, I imagine I would need more than a day ......

Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated

Regards
John

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Alternatively you could stick around on here, read back through ten years' worth of advice, post pictures of your own work, and ask as many questions as you want - all for free!

If you are interested in mainly using hand tools there is a good sprinkling of new or republished books around which do try to guide beginners along through the basics first, adding skills in a logical sequence. One or two of those, supplemented by critical viewing of videos on-line, plus activity on here, should see you through.

Hi andy

I agree with this site as a resource, I have been hanging around in the background for about a year and there is some brilliant stuff and advice.

I was looking for something a bit more structured mostly to do with how to do joints properly, and also in hand tool usage techniques.

Do you have a any books which you can recommend? When I first started I bought a book by john bullar which I didn't really like that much. It was quite brief and the projects were mostly very large .... such as beds and wardrobes.

I suppose really when I think about it, it is something structured which gives some suitable projects with which to practice the techniques learnt.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers
John

I think anyone starting out needs to begin with planing timber to the right size, including defining a fair face and edge as reference surfaces. They should go on to learn how to lay out for joints - lap; mortice and tenon and dovetail. Use those to build boxes and frames. Furniture is pretty much boxes and frames in various combinations.

For a beginner's book The Joiner and Cabinetmaker as reprinted by Lost Arts Press is probably the right sort of thing, or else Robert Wearing's Essential Woodworker from the same source. That's mostly based on hearsay though - I don't have those books. One that I did find, which follows the logical order to build up skills, is "Illustrated Furniture Making" by Graham Blackburn (1977) - and you should be able to find it cheaply still as I don't think it's been talked up by any of the well-known US woodwork gurus.

The best book on joints is (in my opinion) Woodwork Joints by Charles Hayward - though the price of this one has gone up because of many recommendations. It puts in the bits that others leave out about how to actually do the marking and cutting. (I'd also recommend all of Charles Hayward's books, as published and re-published by The Woodworker, - they are really clear on the basics and a lot more besides.)

Having just started to 'make sawdust' as my wife calls it the major difficulty I have is sharpening chisels and planes. You can read dozens of books, watch numerous videos but nothing would beat hands on advice from someone with experience. I know I'm not getting them sharp as I constantly seem to be 'fighting' the wood. :cry:

johngraves":gqyda3r3 said:
Having just started to 'make sawdust' as my wife calls it the major difficulty I have is sharpening chisels and planes. You can read dozens of books, watch numerous videos but nothing would beat hands on advice from someone with experience. I know I'm not getting them sharp as I constantly seem to be 'fighting' the wood. :cry:
Hi John. Just to warn you, This sort of question is going to generate all sorts of replies, but the best advice i can offer you would be to see sharpening as something to be enjoyed, and not something to be afraid of. After spending the last 30 odd years as a full time proffesional woodworker, I have tried to show numerous students, and apprentices how to sharpen there kit, but i have come to the conclusion that we all proberbly have to find our own way of doing it, and the only key that i know that works, is practice, practice, and more practice. Just remember to see it as a challenge, and above all ENJOY the challenge.
Richard

Thanks Richard.
I know what you mean. having spent nearly 40 years teaching maths I could teach children the intricacies of trigonometry until I was blue in the face but it wasn't until they had practiced a few dozen that they 'got it'.
I'll keep persevering as I really enjoy the sensation when I get it right.

Probably worth trying to get at least a little one-to-one tuition if you can possibly find and afford, on the sharpening and basic tool use. Even good videos can't show you everything, and the danger of teaching yourself is that 'you don't know what you don't know'. A decent teacher can save so much time chasing your own tail....

I am a member of The Hand Tool School and find it to be an excellent structured approach to hand tool use. Shannon is a good teacher and is great at getting the point across. He has also made some really nice projects that have been 100% hand tool made. If you enjoy this type of learning then you will be very pleased with Shannon's service. Is it as good as having one to one tutoring? Will watching all of the episodes make you a pro hand tool user over night? Nope, but can you get one to one tutoring for that sort of price? It goes without saying that you need to practise and make mistakes to learn anything in life. But you still need to know what to practise and how to correct the error.

If you would like to ask me about any aspect of the course, then feel free to contact me.

OK thanks guys, this is something I'm going to have to think very carefully about. Not sure which route I'm going to try first. I'm really tempted by the hand tool school but think it is quite expensive. But I think I'm definitely going to try looking at the books andyT suggests.

Again thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it

Back