The ghost of the Maxi 26

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.
I think mine has the slot morticing table also.
My questions are very basic as I don't know the machine at all and I have never had/used such a machine.
There is a black knob and a black wheel on the side where the morticing table is. The knob just unscrews right out of the cabinet and doesn't seem to do anything, what is it for?
The wheel is jammed and I don't want to force it as it is plastic, what does this wheel do? and how might I free it?
The wheel winds the thicknesser table (and the morticer table if attached) up and down.
The knob holds it in place. Could the place to squirt in WD40 to loosen it up? No other ideas about how to loosen things, except to do it carefully.

The wheel winds the thicknesser table (and the morticer table if attached) up and down.
The knob holds it in place. Could the place to squirt in WD40 to loosen it up? No other ideas about how to loosen things, except to do it carefully.
Thanks,
You said changing the belt positions was easy.
Can you tell me what the different belt positions are and how to change them?
The main belt from the motor is currently driving the table saw and there is a small belt (very loose) going to the planer (which also has a chain assembly).
I can't figure out how the spindle is supposed to be driven.

Thanks,
You said changing the belt positions was easy.
Can you tell me what the different belt positions are and how to change them?
The main belt from the motor is currently driving the table saw and there is a small belt (very loose) going to the planer (which also has a chain assembly).
I can't figure out how the spindle is supposed to be driven.
There are two belts, long and short, I can't remember which functions they serve but it should be obvious. The chain is to drive the thicknesser rollers as far as I recall.
The belt does a sort of figure of eight through 90º for the spindle. Just a simple twist, but the right way or it goes backwards. The spindle spins anticlockwise looking down on it

Last edited:
There are two belts, long and short, I can't remember which functions they serve but it should be obvious. The chain is to drive the thicknesser rollers as far as I recall.
The belt does a sort of figure of eight through 90º for the spindle. Just a simple twist, but the right way or it goes backwards. The spindle spins anticlockwise looking down on it
Thanks, I think the long belt is missing (I should say, definitely missing).
Wish I could get a pdf of the manual.
By the way, the WD40 worked a treat on the thicknesser height adjustment wheel.
Would you happen to know the specs for the motor? I can't see any way to get in to read the plate (if it has one).

Thanks, I think the long belt is missing (I should say, definitely missing).
Wish I could get a pdf of the manual.
By the way, the WD40 worked a treat on the thicknesser height adjustment wheel.
Would you happen to know the specs for the motor? I can't see any way to get in to read the plate (if it has one).
Plate was on the outside as far as I remember.
Parts list here. Later version than mine with a few changes http://www.targetmanufacturing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/MAXI26_PARTS_LIST_15-07-20051.pdf
or search under AEG, Lurem, Record, Maxi 26. maybe had other labels too.

Last edited:
I've got a maxi from 1999-2000 era still fully functional. The small knob on mine allows for the adjustment of the infeed table depth for the joiner and the wheel adjusts the thicknesser. I've a manual somewhere I'll try and dig out .

I've got a maxi from 1999-2000 era still fully functional. The small knob on mine allows for the adjustment of the infeed table depth for the joiner and the wheel adjusts the thicknesser. I've a manual somewhere I'll try and dig out .
Thanks,
A copy of the manual will be a HUGE help.

Also,
Does anyone know if these machines came with a "tool set" and what was in it?
So far I have needed a 4mm and 5mm alan wrench, a 22mm spanner for the saw blade and something to lock the saw blade from turning (I used a piece of 8mm round bar, but I'm guessing there was a proper tool).

Also,
Does anyone know if these machines came with a "tool set" and what was in it?
So far I have needed a 4mm and 5mm alan wrench, a 22mm spanner for the saw blade and something to lock the saw blade from turning (I used a piece of 8mm round bar, but I'm guessing there was a proper tool).
I seem to recall a planer blade setting tool which wasn't much good.
Also a push stick with a bracket on the case to hold it.
Dust ducts for the planer, under and over.
Crown guard

Last edited:
I seem to recall a planer blade setting tool which wasn't much good.
Also a push stick with a bracket on the case to hold it.
Dust ducts for the planer, under and over.
Crown guard
I have the push stick and also the chuck key.

Do you know where I can buy replacement belts?

I have the push stick and also the chuck key.

Do you know where I can buy replacement belts?
Record may still have them - the machine was sold under their name I think. Might be wrong.
No doubt available from somewhere if you can identify the size or number

Hi I've been doing some work on my dad's Maxi 26, when thicknessing some timber the feed rollers stopped, and after some checking around I noticed a a small drive belt had come off a plastic drive wheel which was turning the feed rollers.
I tried putting it back on several times but it kept coming back off.any ideas where I can get a new wheel if needed.
IMG20240106092852.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240106092902.jpg
    IMG20240106092902.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240106092657.jpg
    IMG20240106092657.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back