The customer is always right....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinCox

Established Member
Reaction score
The differences between what the maker would like to have (wood, methods, features) can be different from the bill-paying customer requires. I've read in several postings that " I would have done this but the customer wanted and the customer is always right"

Well, we know the customer is not always right just as the maker is not always right - so how do we/I reconcile the customer requiring something that we know isn't logical or won't work?

To retain my sanity through 40 odd years of business, I try and remember something I was told many years ago by a U.S. colleague - the customer is not always right; but they are always the customer right.

Just repeat silently to yourself 10 times whilst smiling at the perversity of a decision

MartinCox":34l51dnz said:
Well, we know the customer is not always right just as the maker is not always right - so how do we/I reconcile the customer requiring something that we know isn't logical or won't work?
If you are quite sure it is no good tell him you won't do it. Otherwise you will be remembered and blamed as the maker of this faulty product.
But there is a middle ground where the customer might have an insight into something you must just take a chance on.

If the job is worthwhile: As Jacob says. Be very tactful about it. Explain why you think it will not work and explain to him what the practical options are. Tell him you are happy to discuss any other option that you and he can think of. If he still insists on his way then you will just have to tell him it is not something you are willing to do. The alternative is to put in writing your concerns and the gist of the discussion. Then state in writing you have fully discussed the risks and that the customer wants you to proceed entirely at his own risk and responsibility. Also that you would require his signature on the letter acknowledging he is so advised and provide 100% payment up front.

I do whatever the customer wants, unless it is going to reflect badly on me.

Twice in 15 years I have refused to do what the customer wanted and let them go.

The mantra I preach in my company is that (I know this will seem rather unusual to Many and offensive) 'all customers are lying thieving tow rags, now get over it and work out how on that basis your going to deal with them civilly, decently, respectful and from a position of retaining the morale high ground at all times. If you can't do it or don't like it and can't handle being sworn at or shouted at you shouldn't be working where you are customer facing!'

I find that actively listening until the customer has run out of things to say and only then presenting my point of view, again listening attentively and waiting until they have run out of things to say when they interrupt before starting right back at the beginning again and presenting my view works a treat.

Deema, priceless.

I'm perhaps lucky in that I only deal with other businesses who are professionals. I suppose in 40 years, I've said goodbye to maybe 3 or 4 customers. I can see that dealing with some amateurs (defined by attitude not earning method) can be interesting.

I alway told my staff that our role was to "EDUCATE" the customer. I.e. Educate him in the error of his ways and bring him round to the correct way to use whatever it was that he has buying.

I very often find muself in situations when I cannot make what the customer wants because the result would be technically bad and in the long term it would destroy my reputation. I try to explain and usually the discussion leads to a reasonably good solution to the problem. If the customer doesn't budge I tell them frankly that I will make it and do my best but he/she should remember that I have told him/her what problems to expect.

Once I flat out refused to remove a load bearing partition wall I just had rebuilt to prewent the roof of an old house from caving in. While I worked and had the roof temporarily supported they had found that they wanted an open plan. I told them that I would have to tear down half the house to build a new structure that would carry the roof trusses and stabilize the gable wall. I just kept working like if nothing had happened. A few weeks later they agreed that the wall should be there.

When it comes to aesthetics I have found that the customer always believes that he/she is right. Usually it pays of to not to take him/her out of that dilusion.

Back