The best saw in the workshop today to buy at the neighborhood store.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really glad I bought a couple of Spear & Jackson "Traditional saws" (7tps for ripping and a 10tps for cross cutting). A cheap way to get into resharpenable saws. Got me started and I've since bought a number of second hand saws.

9500R_0_1400x.jpg

As in the title. Which are the good hand saws to buy. Have you bought recently?

The second question is easy, but I don't know how anyone can answer the first question without knowing what you plan on doing with the saw. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all saw for a workshop.

When I was starting out we’d have a 20” 10tpi panel saw and a 22” 7/8tpi cross cut.
The rip saw was long gone and not readily available in 1984 so never purchased one.

I had a few different versions of both panel and cross cut hand saws and were amazing to use when new. The best one I purchased was a blue handled Sandvik panel saw with a breasted toothline that cost around £30 in 1986, that was a beauty and cut do well.

Sadly, once dull these saws needed resharpening, and was extremely difficult to replicate that factory edge, hence the slow migration over to hard point saws.

If I were you I’d buy a Bahco 244 and spend the money saved on something else.

I'd buy an 11tpi crosscut saw, ptfe coated blade, hultafors, bahco or Axminster if you're in their neighbourhood. I'm lousy at hand sawing but those 3 help.
If I had to rip, I'd use a circ saw ....

For new, I would look at offerings by Thomas Flinn/Pax. Have one and it is every bit the equal of the boutique makers here in the states 5 times the price.

I have many vintage saws (haven’t bought one for over a decade), and whenI was accumulating, since so plentiful in rural PA, I would first look for fancier handles and then minimum of rust.

Back