That Irish knot thingy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How to do a

Celtic Knot No1

Celtic Knot No2

These are for pens but the method is just the same. I used one of the above when I made this Tazza.

Experiment.jpg

Glad to know I wasn't the only person didn't know how Graham had done it. Something else to try !

I had an idea so gave it a bash at the weekend. After seeing the tutorials on-line, I can see the importance of a jig to hold the work in one place. Doing it freehand on a mitre gauge is not accurate enough.
celtic pen 640 #1.JPG
I think it would also help numbering the sides, so the same side doesn't get cut twice and one side missed out.
I think a wider angle would maybe better too.
All in all, a study in how not to go about it. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Attachments

• celtic pen 640 #1.JPG
    celtic pen 640 #1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,185
I had a tutorial with a good friend the other day and the one on the right is the result! Main tip was not to cut all the way through the blank, which helps to keep the pieces in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,127
I think tazmaniandevil's pen is just as interesting, maybe not what was intended but looks good nonetheless.

Main tip was not to cut all the way through the blank, which helps to keep the pieces in place.

Doesn't the insert need to be exactly the same dimension as the saw kerf for that to work and keep the joint parallel?

swb58":3hq32afr said:
I think tazmaniandevil's pen is just as interesting, maybe not what was intended but looks good nonetheless.

Main tip was not to cut all the way through the blank, which helps to keep the pieces in place.

Doesn't the insert need to be exactly the same dimension as the saw kerf for that to work and keep the joint parallel?

Yes it does, sorry forgot to mention that!

gregmcateer":rwuin6qb said:
Wybrook":rwuin6qb said:
Glad to know I wasn't the only person didn't know how Graham had done it.

+1 And I still don't! - How does the insert curve around and join together as a loop!?! (hammer)

It doesn't curve, if you can enlarge mine and look at the crossover you can see the inserts are straight it is the curve of the pen that makes them look curved, if you try and imagine it back as a square pen blank the inserts are straight.

I will be printing this out and taking it out to play with me. I may even laminate it.
The other error I made was failing to clean up the blank completely after each insertion. This ensures the blank is always completely true against the fence.

I foresee the hardest part for me being cutting the inserts accurately and consistently. I think it would be far easier if I had a thicknesser rather than relying on the fairly rubbish table saw fence.

Were all of us wondering about how Graham did it?

It looks like in the link Celtic Knot No2 there is a picture of someone cutting a dowel on a bandsaw.
Mind your fingers!

Hi guys. Seems to have caused a bit of a stir.......

I note all your responses about how it is done but I'm afraid you are all wrong.

twas Magic (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Back