Thanks Steve Maskery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berncarpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
Just like to thank Steve for the leather for this strop that i picked up at Dr Bobs bash.

Had a piece of granite splash back from a local kitchen showroom that had ceased trading and had to clear out the showroom.
Cut to length and chamfered the top edge a little with the diamond tile saw.
DSC_0655_zps4f508456.jpg

DSC_0656_zpsaa7cb705.jpg

DSC_0657_zpsbcf0f427.jpg

Used contact adhesive to stick the leather to the granite
DSC_0659_zpscc2d2497.jpg

With the end caught in the vice ,stretched the leather over the granite
DSC_0660_zpsdf5eaa3e.jpg

Trimmed the leather to size with a craft knife and rubbed off the excess glue.
DSC_0662_zpsfdc09b54.jpg

That is stunning, I haven't got the equipment to cut and chamfer granite son wonderfully, one day :)
I remember using the belt I was wearing as a strop, not the most practical or safe but worth a giggle.

Good job there bern
TT

Can I just ask how thick that leather was? I've been collecting offcuts for ages, but most are from clothes / jackets etc some maybe 2mm but I thought it was recommended to use around 3mm thick stiff stuff?

rafezetter":1wog5aft said:
Can I just ask how thick that leather was? I've been collecting offcuts for ages, but most are from clothes / jackets etc some maybe 2mm but I thought it was recommended to use around 3mm thick stiff stuff?
Sorry for the slow reply , been playing in the workshop and just got in. The leather is 1.2mm quite thin and a bit fluffy to start with ,but since loading with metal polish its smoothed out and works just fine.

Cheers Bern :D

I don't think it matters to much, I have the shiny side up on mine.

Pete

Back