Testing plane bodies.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all grey iron is as brittle as that No3 in the video. I came by a Record No7 with a crack from the mouth beginning to run up the side of the body – about 5 mm of the crack visible. Thinking it hadn’t much longer for this world I thought I would help it on its way with a club hammer. It suffered a dozen mighty blows to the crack before it broke. (Felt really bad about it afterwards as it showed such strength it may well have been good for a great many more years).

Have to admit it's not a test that I find even remotely helpful for anything I use my planes for. Of course, I could be wrong and planes may be used differently in the land of the one idea. :shock:

Hi,

There was a outcry on the Old Tools group a couple of months ago about this, its not really a test of any thing usefull.

Pete

Maybe that plane was already cracked?

After reviewing some planes for the upcoming June 2009 issue of Popular Woodworking, Editor Christopher Schwarz wanted to determine what type of iron made up a new plane from China.

At 2:29, he says the block plane on test is a Woodriver. If it is the same as the range of planes Rutlands is selling, that makes the Rutlands Bedrock a little more tempting...

He's obviously got planes that he can afford to damage...one of them's a LV BD smoother. Seems a bit of a pointless sort of test to me :? - Rob

Back