Quantcast

Tenon Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
Do many people use these and has anybody got the LN carcass saw?

SimonA

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, Simon... Oh deary me... The L-N addiction strikes again eh? Tsk tsk...

I'll be interested to see what other people say about tenon saw use. As for me, I use them all the time. (Yes, them :oops: ) But I still can't decide whether I prefer the 12" or 14". Decisions, decisions. You could argue that really you need two. One x-cut and one rip. But then we're back at trying to find a saw doctor who knows the difference... :?

Cheers, Alf

Who, if buying new, would probably easily succumb to the lure of the Adria set... Mmmmmmmm :D

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
If I had the money, I'd succumb to the lure of the Adria set as well :).

However, back in the real world... I still haven't invested in a solution for dovetails but for a tenon saw I bought a Jack hardpoint tenon saw from Axminster (about £6.50) and I've been very happy with it. Cuts very clean and easy.

My decision was largely influenced by a couple of magazine articles (particularly one by Kevin Ley) recommending the purchase of 'disposable' hardpoint saws. Figured I could afford it if it was disastrous. It ain't a thing of beauty but it does the job for me.

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got the L-N dovetail saw and love it. It's a pleasure to use and has improved my cutting skills no end :)

I'll be buying their carcass saw in the near future!

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Since I discovered Japanese saws, I have hardly used another kind. My original Ryoba is still used for the occasional ripping job but also does duty as a garden saw. I use others now in the workshop for cross cutting and joint making and although the LN saws look lovely, I have not found them to work as well for me as a cheaper Japanese model (judging from trials I've made at shows.)

I am sure it's just down to practice but the Japanese saws need much less practice than the western models - at least in my experience.

A

Anonymous

SimonA":7asw75nd said:
Do many people use these and has anybody got the LN carcass saw?

SimonA
Yes (a lot) and no in that order. Sometimes I use a japanese backed saw and sometimes a european type depending on my mood. I reckon the euro one gives straighter cuts for cheeks. I use an Axminster saw with wooden handle (hate plastic handles) and it cuts on both strokes, which is very nice.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Simon,
I also have the L-N dovetail saw-its a rip pattern saw so have used it occasionally for cutting small tenons. It cuts like a dream-truly worth the money. So, yes i'll probably be getting a carcass saw at some point too.
regards,
Philly