Tenon saw with a side handle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poogleflex

Reaction score
Hi All,

I started learning woodwork this year and hopefully one day Ikea will be a dim and distant memory :D

So I was having a rummage through my parent's cellar and found what looks like a tenon saw with a side handle.

I can't think when you'd want to hold a tenon saw with both hands rather than have one hand on your work-piece, so I wondered if anyone here could shed some light on whether this is an actual tool or just a frankensaw that someone dreamt up.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• handle saw copy.jpg
    handle saw copy.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 836
I'd say it lost a saw nut and somebody replaced it with a plumbing faucet handle.

I'm sure that's a user modification, not a commercial offering. Woodworkers are full of ideas, some of them better than others!

Suspect someone wanted to (mis)use it in a tight spot, against a wall or floor for instance, where they could not grip the handle properly.

I think CHJ has got it. I could imagine that being used to trim the bottom of a door, in place, slowly.

I imagine you can hold the saw horizontally by the side tote, perhaps for flush cutting?
On second thought, probably not for flush cutting as it's a backsaw...

Back