Ten Digits At The Start, Ten Digits At The End

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Tanya mentioned about how scrollers seem to risk cutting their fingers, especially when doing fine work. I've never found this a problem and have never cut myself before while scrolling. Experience tells most scrollers that they can put their fingers very close to an unguarded blade without danger, but this can be daunting for newcomers.

Do scrollers have advice for newbies who might be scared of getting their fingers too close to the blade? My own tip is to always have a broken blade around which you can use to hold down wood or patterns which start to come loose around the blade.

Gill

Thanks for that Gill,

I have to admit I have accidentally 'brushed' my finger against a blade whilst working and I didn't even get a scratch (must be my very thick skin) so I'm not seriously worried about any diy amputations, but I do have nicely trimmed fingernails :wink:
Good tip for using a broken blade, although I don't have one ....yet.

I personally feel that the thicker the saw blade, the more caution is necessary. A #5, 7 or above blade has teeth that can cut skin. The kind of blades I use for puzzles, 2/0 and thinner) and probably the kind used for intricate fretwork, are of almost no concern whatsoever. I regularly cut puzzle pieces with my fingertips within 1/8" of the fast-moving blade. On the very rare occasions when those tips have touched the blade, I simply withdraw them without experiencing any cuts.

A scroll saw is one of the safest power tools there is. I have no problem with four-year-olds cutting puzzle pieces. Anyone who is afraid of the scroll saw when using thin fretwork or puzzle blades is experiencing a fear way out of proportion to the danger.

Have phun! Carter

When I first started seriously woodworking it was with a scroll saw. We call ourselves "Ten Fingers Woodworking". Folks always ask me if I still have 10. I say that you have to be pretty determined to cut your finger off with a scroll saw. In the 20 years I have been scrolling I have only cut myself once. It felt like a nasty paper cut.

Terry

Back