Temporary workbench recommendations (Saw horses + 2x4 or otherwise)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first (and only) set of "Tough-Built" trestles I had were like the ones @Sheptonphil shows and were great when they were new - but gradually fell apart over about a 12 month period. They contain ridiciulous quantities of screws, nuts and washers, all non-metric (so awkward to replace like for like), which self-loosen and are shed if the trestles are folded up and moved multiple times in a day as you do on site, as well as travelling thousands of miles in the back of a van. After being nagged for spares the importer supplied a big bag of fastenings which I use to rebuild the trestles along with Loctite. It was so good that a further 6 months down the line I skipped them as they were once again shedding fastebibgs and I couldn't be pineappled to waste any more time and effort on a grorified Meccano kit. The other thing about them, those useful looking "hooks", which are meant (according to the original publicity blurb) to hold a couple of pieces of "4 x 2", turned out to be too narrow to hold the 4 x 2 we get in the UK (actualy around 90 x 44mm finished size) and will actually only hold something like 38mm thick (or non-standard) stock.

So as a tradesman's tool they were unreliable and utterly useless. The only good feature was the variable height legs, Their replacements were a pair of deWalt DE7035 heavy duty trestles which have done 5-1/2 years service, but they are now fearsomely expensive (a pair were £130 when I got mine) which for a site tool is just a bit steep.
I think Phil has the C650s whereas I have the c700s which have adjustable jaws and do take a 4x2 frame TOUGHBUILT TOU-C700 Saw Horse/Adjustable Jobsite Table (Single) : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Either way mine fell apart and support for a trade price tool was (at the time) risible. I think they have redesigned them since, but once bitten, twice shy...

Have to say - the Robin Clevett style saw horses (see previous post) are fairly indestructible. The only prob is that they don't fold, but this is what makes them stronger. They are much better than they look at first glance.

Something like this does the job for me, just an 8x4 pallet with some legs and a few braces made of random leftovers.
20211210_091604.jpg

I sometimes use these saw horses with a couple of planks on too, easy to make, just 4x2 screwed together and plenty strong enough.
20211210_092821.jpg

I bought a workmate in the early 70's. Still works well for odd jobs outside.
I built two saw horses.... but they're too heavy for quick use so are gathering dust.

I bought a workmate in the early 70's. Still works well for odd jobs outside.
I built two saw horses.... but they're too heavy for quick use so are gathering dust.
Don't you find Workmates a bit on the low side? I used to get a pain in the back from using them. Saw horses are great to use, but they are a PIA to carry in the van or a car

Don't you find Workmates a bit on the low side? I used to get a pain in the back from using them. Saw horses are great to use, but they are a PIA to carry in the van or a car
So it's pia or pia? For short term use, the workmate I found ideal.
Mind you, thinking about it, my sawhorses were about the same height?
Sawing is easiest, knee on the job, sawing down?

So it's pia or pia? For short term use, the workmate I found ideal.
Mind you, thinking about it, my sawhorses were about the same height?
Sawing is easiest, knee on the job, sawing down?
I've got to admit that a lot of my work (e.g. routing, sanding, etc) needs something taller, Dave. I also don't do much hand sawing any more...

Robin Clevett's easy method (earlier post) is pretty close to the basic text book model and good enough for normal purposes. His angles are a bit of a cheat but they work well enough.

Last edited:
This is not for hand tool use like planes, right?

I'd get two old half height file cabinets and the cheapest solid core door I could find. Lad it with plywood if it's not tough enough.

Back