Tea tray design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm hoping to do a mini-project this week for something we badly need: a tea tray to take cups, saucers, biscuits etc. from the kitchen to the living room and back. I'm thinking simple: four sides joined with a single dovetail at each corner and a bottom. Obviously, there isn't much to it, but the one question I have is: what's the best way to attach the bottom of the tray? Should it just be glued onto the sides or is it best to have it floating in a groove like a panel on a door or the bottom of a box?

Cheers,

Keith.

Hi Keith,

Personally, I'd put it in a groove but if you want to keep it really simple just glue it - with today's glues it should be fine this way.

regards

Brian

Keith - I would use a rebate for the bottom, easily done with a router and bearing cutter if you have such a thing. A little glue into the rebate and use some veneer pins every 150mm or so to hold it, make sure you punch the pinheads under the surface tho' - Rob

While I'm here! What would be a good durable finish for this?

Polyurethane (matt - hate glossy finishes) would be good for this job as the finish isn't damaged by hot brews - Rob

Back