Talking Tools at Axminster Guildhall, Friday & Saturday,Free

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":egpsp1oj said:
Alf":egpsp1oj said:
That joint by Mr Hiroshi Morita is just incredible....

You're right, Alf. An absolutely stunning piece of work - everyone was raving about it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Yebbut like Cosman's planing or speedy dovetails - it's a clever and very well rehearsed circus act.
The whole thing looks like a bit of a circus really, with the same old turns! Pardon me for yawning.

Interesting pics - thanks for taking.

Not seen the LN plane in this pic before, although you can't see all of it - prototype?

IMG_2852.jpg

Looks like a 62 size rebate plane.

Cheers

Karl

I wasn't sure what to expect from this event but I thought this was fantastic, just wish I had of planned to spend more time there. Bit of a shame Philly didnt have any planes to play with but that will have to wait until Yandles.

Did anyone have a go with David Charlesworths Stanley, I was amazed what can be achieved from one.

I really hope Axminster make this a regular thing.

Paul Chapman":jbxgaasc said:
And Mike Hudson demonstrating that when you have a really difficult piece of wood, you reach for a Clifton :wink:

TalkingTools8.jpg
Hey Paul, I was expecting a close-up of Clifton's prototype block plane :wink:

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2j8bp6ne said:
Paul Chapman":2j8bp6ne said:
And Mike Hudson demonstrating that when you have a really difficult piece of wood, you reach for a Clifton :wink:

TalkingTools8.jpg
Hey Paul, I was expecting a close-up of Clifton's prototype block plane :wink:

Cheers, Vann.

Sorry, Vann, I didn't see it this time, although Mike might have had it in his box of tricks. I've had a play around with it on previous occasions - it's really nice. Very tactile.

Let's hope it goes into production before too long. I'll certainly buy one.

Paul

A few more photographs from yesterday at Axminster:

Some of the new Veritas 'finger planes' for musical instrument makers - final versions (already out on Beta test) and prototypes.

Prototype plane and a couple of the new (metric and imperial) blades for the router plane.(2,4,6,8... mm???)

Also the Veritas small metal squares are to be reintroduced. Also a new (prototype) tenon saw, and long saw guides coming soon.

IMG_1827 by liam_iam, on Flickr

and one of the man himself...

IMG_1826 by liam_iam, on Flickr

Some joints in wood....

IMG_1820 by liam_iam, on Flickr

Mark Sanger and....

John Lloyd demonstrates dovetails...

DMT were there...

As was David Savage...

Hope this is of interest

Liam

Karl":e9jti9rg said:
Interesting pics - thanks for taking.

Not seen the LN plane in this pic before, although you can't see all of it - prototype?

IMG_2852.jpg

Looks like a 62 size rebate plane.

Cheers

Karl

Oh, that's a cheeky spot, well done Karl, I sailed straight past that! =D> Something else to add to the list!

Love the look of the finger planes from Veritas, the small Ibex ones I use at the moment really hurt after a while. and that while gets shorter as I get older, so the palm knob will be a welcome addition. Thanks for the pics guys!

Hi Scouse

I agree about the Ibex planes.

What may interest you more about the Veritas finger planes is that they are length adjustable for comfort...

I also almost forgot to mention that the Router plane has a revised depth stop which Robin says will be made available to current owners.
No improvement to accuracy, just way more easily adjusted.

Liam

Karl
The Lie-Nielsen is the 610 1/2, a rebate version of the #62 Low Angle Jack - this was a prototype on display at the show and is not a million miles from how the finished plane will look. Expect is on sale soon! I took a bunch of photo's but was made to promise not to post them all over the internet :wink:
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

Some great pics guys, thanks very much for taking and uploading them.

Bit too far for me, and gardening duties called :roll: , but looking forwards to Yandles :D

Cheers, Paul :D

What's the chunky black plane in front of Rob in those pictures? It looks almost like an unhandled smoother made out of the same black stuff as their saw spines.

cbf123":96lp1dam said:
What's the chunky black plane in front of Rob in those pictures? It looks almost like an unhandled smoother made out of the same black stuff as their saw spines.

That was a prototype which Rob Lee described as something like a modern interpretation of an in-fill. I got the impression that they were experimenting with it so I doubt that it will go into production.

It was very interesting chatting to Rob. It seems that they have several new planes and ideas that they are working on.

Paul

Paul Chapman":3hkcpk1f said:
cbf123":3hkcpk1f said:

That was a prototype which Rob Lee described as something like a modern interpretation of an in-fill. I got the impression that they were experimenting with it so I doubt that it will go into production.

It was very interesting chatting to Rob. It seems that they have several new planes and ideas that they are working on.

Paul
Never mind all this niff-naff and trivia...where's the new Veritas Compass Plane then? :tool: :-" :lol: :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":38cnz47j said:
Never mind all this niff-naff and trivia...where's the new Veritas Compass Plane then? :tool: :-" :lol: :lol: - Rob

I asked Rob that very question - He said he'd leave it to Tom Lie Nielsen! :lol:
He did give good reason though, saying that the Veritas range always tries to give more than what was originally out there, so either new designs or adaptations of others with better adjusters, blade retention etc, but in the case of the compass plane, he reckoned they could do no more than Stanley did so it would only be a direct copy, so it sounds like its more a 'watch the Lie Nielsen' space...

cheers,
Andy

Andy - I believe it's Lie-Nielsen's 30th anniversary this year. I wonder what the anniversary plane is going to be...........? :-#

Philly":141r8ddg said:
Andy - I believe it's Lie-Nielsen's 30th anniversary this year. I wonder what the anniversary plane is going to be...........? :-#

You are a tease, Philly :lol:

Paul

Back