Harrogate reviews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
For my part I welcomed a few different stalls this year. Seemed like a few individuals Shenton woodcraft, the joiner with the holtley planes, the guy with the plastic sharpening idea( sharpsomething)
Le tonkinois was absent. Brake disc drill man was preaching to no one. Classic hand tools I wasn't to interested in this time. Axminster were barely there. I love Biven machinery the guys a delight to deal with. I had an enlightening conversation about rocking horses. That company employs 8 people(some partime) but put themselves as the normal people's rocking horse company! London companies are the top end!.....rocking horse poo! Peter sefton seemed extremely busy. A guy was setting up a school at the other end but was not to chatty about it tbh . In fact many stallies seemed a bit burnt out! Busy Friday maybe. The tiny Turner gained large crowds. Seemingly timber sales are quite popular having more and more stalls( all sanded far to thin and many not straight) cnc stalls are now ubiquitous that being trends only presence but interestingly the demographic at the stall was younger and hipsters. The future of woodwork...maybe. I personally didn't feel it was as busy as I had no trouble getting to any stall. The one stall that misread the leaflet was the guy selling wireless headphones he seemed to be struggling being completely unrelated!

Attachments

• IMG-20231111-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20231111-WA0001.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The guy with the plastic sharpening thing had a great story and was a great demonstrator. That method of sharpening was his idea he went into partnership with another company who then sold that to trend. Despite looking a bit cornflake box the system works extremely well and is well thought through. I for one hope he has great success(he was a great demonstrator to.)

I haven’t been for a couple of years so my perception may not be accurate but I also felt it was quieter and smaller.

I didn’t see any presence from Clifton/Thomas Flinn which is a shame as they are a genuine UK brand and not too far away from Harrogate.

Being in the market for a trim router there didn’t seem to be any bargains.

Shane Skelton is always interesting and good to meet @Nick Laguna UK. Also good to see Tom Thackray Windsor Chairs are still there - great traditional woodworking being taught in the face of the onslaught of the cnc machine!

Seemingly timber sales are quite popular having more and more stalls( all sanded far to thin and many not straight) cnc stalls are now ubiquitous that being trends only presence but interestingly the demographic at the stall was younger and hipsters. The future of woodwork...maybe.
Highlighted that bit of your post @johnnyb as my mate commented on the crowds looking younger than previous years, I just thought it was a sign of me getting older 😖
Also re the timber whilst I quite agree for my own uses most of the timber on show would be of little use to me but a conversation with Peter Sefton revealed his best selling equipment wasn’t what he’d first think of bringing to the show. So presumably the timber sellers know their market & bring what sells, plus I don’t imagine I’m their target audience.

As for the show I thoroughly enjoyed it as usual, met up with some old friends which is always the best part of the show for me. I’ve certainly seen it busier but it wasn’t a bad turn out & the Mafell fellas seemed happy with their sales which at the end of the day is the important thing.

I was impressed with the new plastic bags Peter Sefton has started selling for decanting finishes into definitely some thing I’ll be looking into especially with the price of oil finishes these days, having a tin of Osmo go off makes you realise those bags aren’t that expensive at all.

I managed to pick up a couple of bits I’ve been hanging my nose over for a short while so with those, the show in general & the obligatory curry on the way home made it a really good day.

edit.
I also had a good chat to the boat building guys, it’s great that they are keeping these traditions alive & watched them do an interesting demonstration of steam bending Oak

I didn’t see any presence from Clifton/Thomas Flinn which is a shame as they are a genuine UK brand and not too far away from Harrogate.
I’m not saying they want to be there but a friend wanted a stand & couldn’t get one, presumably it’s how quickly you put your name forward as to whether you get in or not.
I did notice Bessey/Famag had a much bigger presence this year & that Felder/Hammer didn’t bother bringing their CNC along

I’m not saying they want to be there but a friend wanted a stand & couldn’t get one, presumably it’s how quickly you put your name forward as to whether you get in or not.
I did notice Bessey/Famag had a much bigger presence this year & that Felder/Hammer didn’t bother bringing their CNC along
That seems very odd Doug as along the back wall there were areas of tables and chairs where in previous years they had stalls, that happened last year but not as many.
I was there as usual on Friday and it was noticeably quieter than last year. Got there early and a seat for 3 of us in the cafe which has never happened before (the food and drinks are expensive and poor but unfortunately the silver airstream cafe wasn't outside :cautious:).
I enjoyed the day as always though, met up with the usual acquaintances so well worth the couple of hours drive each way.

Hoffman weren't there this year. But those woodmiser machines looked great( planer/moulders) but those demonstrators were a bit lacklustre I think they must have demoed to garage woodies a bit to much!

I watched a guy buy one of those gripper things and couldn't help thinking it was a bit dangerous and extremely expensive as well. How these things ever gain traction is odd. ( passing anyb hand directly over the blade is not ever to be encouraged)

Nic Westerman was there with his forged tools. I try and chat but I suspect I'd have more joy if I was in the market so to speak. The Indian guy selling Damascus knives was a bit out of place but always seemed popular tbh. Skelton saws I've interacted with a few years but I got an urge to get one so had to give it a wide berth! The little guys are what make the show for me. Axminster seems to be a shrinking commodity both in range and quality. Peter seftons stall ( only from my point of view of course) has a dazzling array of those what I call slightly gimmicky( no offence intended at all) stuff mostly from the US. Gizmos is a decent descriptor. Obviously at a high level but I've only ever brought some of the scary sharp self adhesive film about 6 years age. I noticed it the other day I must get and use it! Must be hard gaining a niche I suppose.
Is it me or are hss woodturning chisels made from unobtanium? There pricing suggests they must be.

I used to go every year, but haven't bothered this last five years or so and Lockdown broke the habit. I never did find it a pleasurable experience. All the jostling, the noise of power equipment, most of which held little appeal, crowds round demonstrators, dodging mobility scooters, crowded refreshment area etc. The pictures at the website makes me empathise with sardines in a can:

Home | The North of England Woodworking & Power Tool Show

Quite why the likes of Axminster bother to attend now their internet business is so well established, I can't imagine. The huge costs of mounting their stand must be disproportionate to any marginal benefit they derive. Their store opening hours are 8am - 5pm Mon-Fri, and 9am - 5pm Sat.

It must take days if not weeks to prepare for the show, then for staff to travel up from Devon and other locations, stay overnight for maybe four nights, travel back, unload, and meanwhile, having to staff their shops, and deal with their online business, (which must be the bulk of their turnover). But that's a matter for them - not me.

It doesn't cost much for me to attend - two hours drive plus a ticket, plus a day lost from doing something maybe more pleasurable, productive or hassle free. If Axminster stayed away, they'd save all the hassle and expense and could offer discounts instead. I had an email from Turners Retreat, offering the same show discounts which I could avail myself of for the three days of the Harrogate Show with a couple of mouse clicks, as follows:

Quote:

Can't make it to Harrogate? Shop our HUGE savings online from the comfort of your own home. Hurry - Offers end Sunday!

Six Piece Turning Tool Set Was £324.06 This weekend £200.00

Sovereign Hollowing Starter Set Was £402.96 This weekend, £299.99

8" Bench Grinder with Universal Sharpening System
Was £440.36 This weekend only £200.00!

ProEdge Deluxe WPED01A Was £554.10 This weekend only £482.00!

Unquote.

I'm not in the market for any those.

Having said all that, it's great to see that after two plus dreadful years of Covid19 and lockdown, it's faded from our minds, this show and other such events have bounced back, and the term 'social distancing' has become an irrelevance.

Quite why the likes of Axminster bother to attend now their internet business is so well established, I can't imagine.
Probably to try and keep their name in peoples heads so that even if they don't sell at the show it might get them another online sale. I almost decided to go but thought that when we are heading into a recession many sellers will just try and save the expense, plus it can get a bit samey. It is a shame that people like Benchdogs or FC tools don't make an appearance as they are both UK products.

That seems very odd Doug as along the back wall there were areas of tables and chairs where in previous years they had stalls,
I remember a few years ago one of the biggest complaints at this & other shows was lack of seating, Newark has additional seating to that of the cafe I just presumed Harrogate had followed suit 🤷‍♂️

I find the mix both exciting and a bit jarring tbh. Many old guys with plenty to spend but little room. Often turners Younger hand tool hipsters. I'm guessing this crowd could be seduced by the dark side(cnc). Ironic though it seems. Some big pro shops must attend but often its small joiner shops. As I hinted the wood miser guys would hate to demo to people not interested in there niche machines. I've always loved it after my first show at Stoneleigh. Who would buy a machine without looking at it in the flesh and trying to compare a bit? Like the guy selling the gripper who'd probably never used a table saw. The benefits are what sell stuff the issues only arrive after use.

Probably to try and keep their name in peoples heads so that even if they don't sell at the show it might get them another online sale. I almost decided to go but thought that when we are heading into a recession many sellers will just try and save the expense, plus it can get a bit samey. It is a shame that people like Benchdogs or FC tools don't make an appearance as they are both UK products.
Probably a staff jolly.

Just like an awards night out!

Hotel, food and drinks on the company.

I recall some very slick tool demonstrators - a chap who used to demonstrate small bandsaws by faultlessly cutting out children's names in thin plywood at a rapid pace. Another who demonstrated Hegner scroll-saws. One year, a very adept turner demonstrated a ring tool. Streamers of wood were flying off the blank as he deftly hollowed out a bowl. Like so many others who'd elbowed their way to the front, I fell for it and bought one - couldn't wait to get it home.

Then reality set it. No sooner had I mounted a blank on the lathe, than I got a dig in. Then another, and another. The I thought "You silly person - if you saw someone demonstrating a mandolin, would you think "that looks like a nifty thing - I must buy one", then expect to take it home and be able to play it.

I took it to the woodworking club and sold it to someone who'd been to Harrogate and had regretted not buying one. A couple of months later, I asked him how he got on with it. He said: "I've hung it on a nail in the workshop".

I'd always enjoyed watching the late Tom Thackray making his Windsor chairs. In 1999, for my 60th Birthday, my wife bought me a course with Tom and I spent a most enjoyable five days with him - such a lovely guy, and so skilled, making several of the tools that used in chair making. I came away with a chair, which I treasure.

Good to see that his courses didn't die with him.

Attachments

• Seat view.jpg
    Seat view.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 0
Nic Westerman was there with his forged tools. I try and chat but I suspect I'd have more joy if I was in the market so to speak. The Indian guy selling Damascus knives was a bit out of place but always seemed popular tbh. Skelton saws I've interacted with a few years but I got an urge to get one so had to give it a wide berth! The little guys are what make the show for me. Axminster seems to be a shrinking commodity both in range and quality. Peter seftons stall ( only from my point of view of course) has a dazzling array of those what I call slightly gimmicky( no offence intended at all) stuff mostly from the US. Gizmos is a decent descriptor. Obviously at a high level but I've only ever brought some of the scary sharp self adhesive film about 6 years age. I noticed it the other day I must get and use it! Must be hard gaining a niche I suppose.
Is it me or are hss woodturning chisels made from unobtanium? There pricing suggests they must be.
My bold.

You should get a Skelton saw, they are quite a revelation.

Adam many years ago I made this saw from a s and j 52 made and put a handle on( pearwood) and it sort of scratched that itch. Guess what . I never use it.its to precious( to me) I use Japanese z saws or an ancient Harley Liverpool sash saw or a rip sharpened Charles nurse. All of which I sharpened years ago but there still sharp! The z saws are replaceable.

Attachments

• 20231112_174804.jpg
    20231112_174804.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back