Take your friends to the workshop...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's a reality now that we're in a Health and Safety mad society where you can get sued for giving someone a cold, but I think it's a very sad state of affairs when you don't get to share your passion for and experience of something you love with a friend / family member for fear of being sued!

Life's too short to worry about that - of course you have a responsibility (morally and legally!) to ensure that you don't just let people loose on your tools but to keep them away from them is H&S gone mad in my eyes, especially when you see some of the great pieces that Pekka has helped his friends and relatives produce.

There will always be horror stories out there (ie sued for £2k for lending a neighbour a ladder - nightmare!) but for every one of the 'horror' stories how many more great stories are there of people finding a new hobby and a love for woodworking?

How's this for a thought - how many of YOU would not be doing woodworking now had it not been for a Dad / Uncle / Grandad showing you how their woodworking tools worked for fear of you suing them?! :wink:

pekka, and to all the rest on this thread, please dont misunderstand me, what happend to my mate was very unlucky and rare. like as been said its h & s gone totaly mad. its just what this country is coming to. i am like the rest of you who shows people my workshop, and yes they do get involved, even my grandchildren. thats how i got into woodwork. now since thenwhen anyone comes in my workshop i treat them as my own children,( i e i keep a very close eye on them) and they do enjoy it very much. pekka congrats on the coffin it is realy beautiful =D>

Pekka, You are very generous. Not only do your friends get good, hand-made pieces of furniture they may also pick up a little of your skill and best of all the sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing "I made that" which I think is what motivates all of us.

As I started reading this thread I was thinking about posting a reply along the lines of what I have written above, when I got to your post about making the coffin for your friend's child. Seeing that absolutely stopped me in my tracks. After that, my comments seemed very trivial and I did not post my reply. I've had a few hours to think about it and I would just like to express my respect and admiration for what you have done.

Thanks, all.

Showing the coffin was a bit provocative and I hesitated to do it. But on the other hand... It says something of the friendship - both the friendship to ask that kind of favor, but also the friendship that raises from the things done together. Someone has said that friends are something more than friends after staring at the same campfire, but just the same can be said about doing a woodwork project together.

Friendship and being together are the best parts of it. And the pride of your own handprints on the furniture you see daily. It's even more important than the piece of furniture itself.

And it's brilliant therapy for a tool c*llector as well; although I feel from time to time I have far too many tools it's wonderful to see the happy faces when someone gets a properly sharpened tool in their hand and start working :D It doens't pay the ebay bills, but it sure feels nice :wink:

Pekka

Thanks for starting this thread Pekka and for showing us what you have done with and for your friends. I can only think that from some peoples comments they are referring to acquaintances rather than to friends. As far as I am concerned the concept of suing a friend is unimaginable. Maybe I am fortunate with the friends that I have, but I hope that the thought of litigation doesn't stop me sharing my skills and interests with others.

Thanks again, Steve

thanks Pekka for sharing...especially the photo of the coffin. it must have been a very powerful experience building that with your friend for his child. thats a real friendship. thanks.

but back to the subject at hand and my thought is that i can't tell people what it means to me that someone who was little more than a new acquaintance invited me to his shop for some woodworking when he found out that i had this hobby. i have learned so much and gained one of my closest friends. i'm forever indebted to his kindness and generosity. woodworking can be dangerous but it is a wonderful gift to share...so i say KEEP IT UP PEKKA! =D> your an example for us all.

sparky

Back