table saw ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Im new to wood work but would love to learn more and maybe build my own furniture cabinates ect ect >Anyway can anyone advise me on a good saw}} table saw]] cabinet saw ?? my budget would be about £250 300
thank,s in anticipation

Something on ebay second hand. keeping looking for something within 60 miles of your radius and nothing too cheap and nasty

I would recommend either an old Startrite Or Multico saw. I would always get a 12" as opposed to the 10" variant as you alway want something larger! For your budget you should get a nice saw that may need a little TLC to bring into an excellent saw. You may need to be a little patient for a good one to turn up. If you can afford about £400 to £500 you can get a Startrite with a sliding table that's ready for work. Be very picky about what you buy. It's very tempting to rush and get something that's needs too much TLC. I was rather sceptical about a sliding table until I got a saw with one. Simply invaluable.

In all cases, when looking at a saw, take the drive belt of the pulleys. Pull and push in the saw to see if the bearings are worn. If you eave the belt on, it's far more difficult to detect bearing wear. If there is any movement, either agree to buy after you have stripped the bearings out, or walk away. If the bearing just needs changing, that's easy and not very expensive. If the bearing has become clogged it can cause either the spindle or housing to become worn. You then need a new spindle or a sleeve for the housing. Both can be expensive if you don't have the kit to make new ones yourself.

Do you really need a table saw?

If you're working with solid timber you'll get a far better quality bandsaw for £250-£300 than you will a table saw. And if you're working with man made boards (MDF, ply) you'll get a far better quality plunge saw and track.

You have got me thinking now :? iv,e just had a look at those plunge saw,s it,s the first time iv,e seen one im going on you tube to view them in action .thank,s for the advice when i finally decide ill add a post #-o
Have you got a plunge saw or could you recommend me one ???

Im sorry for all the questions but what model no and what depth can they cut plus what do you mean adjustments

For a table saw I almost went with an Axminster TS250, until I blew my own budget and got a 40 year old german 3-phase monster. I still think that's a good saw though based on the specs.

you should keep your eye out on the bay, thats where i got my startrite from i did pay top coin for it £400 but it was an ex school one had done very little work and was in almost new condition but you can pick them up for as little as £250 in working order just needing a good clean or paint.

I'm also new to all of this and probably about 3 - 6 months down the line from you. I also sought advice and in the end I bought an Axminster TS200 with all the add ons. I also bought their £250 bandsaw.

I have cut full 18mm MDF sheet boards on the saw (Rip cuts) and it did a great job but it was a two man job to handle the boards. I also bought a long guide clamp to use with my circular saw and I think if I needed to make some initial cross cuts I'd use that as handling a full sheet for cross cuts would be very difficult.

I think you need to try and work out what you need and then the best option for it. I recently needed to cut a large oval (around 90cm by 70cm). As it was oval I was going to use the bandsaw but the board was too big to cut out initially, so I do the rough sizing on the table saw and then used the bandsaw to make the oval. I've used the bandsaw to resize and if you want to make tenons then it seems to be the best option. I think if you are making repeat cross cuts then a table saw is fantastic. It's all a bit of a minefield. One thing I would say is that a table saw takes up a lot of space. Not only are they big (well with side tables and sliding tables) but also you need a lot of space around them. Hope that might be of some help. I avoided eBay and bought new as I didn't know enough about what I was looking so wanted the peace of mind. Axminster were very good.

There is an old school Startrite on the bay just now with a sliding table going and it's not a lot of money, well within your budget. If it really is an ex school machine it will have been very well looked after. They are very accurate, lively to use machines IMO that are very versitle.

pS the blade tilts away from the fence which when using the sliding table opens up a whole load of tenon in opportunities.

Anyone know if these saw,s *STARTRITE TILT ARBOR 3 PHASE PANEL SAW can be changed from 3phase down to single and if so would it be any draw backs and how easy would it be if possible

Latest posts

Back