Table Saw Sled Material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to locate suitable material for a Table Saw Sled. I am interested to know what material preference other members have for their Sled’s and if they had a problem with the flatness :?:

I had intended to make it from 3/4 ply but all the wood yards in my seem unable to supply material that is flat even over an area of about 2ft x2ft. Considered MDF but had the same problem :x . The only flat material seems to be either floor grade chipboard or laminated Conti Board type material.

Regards

i would use MDF personally. if stored properly it should be flat. What about the white chipboard shelving- (melamine), although i dont know if it comes in 2ft widths. nice and slippery though.

Have a chat with your supplier and tell them you need a flat piece. Most of the time their deliveries will come in nice and flat and then they may store it on a few bearers and it'll then move out if shape. Perhaps they could put one aside as soon as it arrives

ossieosborne":1u7jumz6 said:
I made mine from 12mm Baltic Birch ply. It's plenty flat over the 1220mm x 750mm that I used.

Cheers

Oz
I agree. Baltic Birch ply is excellent and are better than most sheet materials for making jigs etc.

Thank for the replies.

I will have another look around, perhaps I have just been unlucky so far, spent a lot of time moving sheets of board without any sign of a flat piece. Not a fan of MDF but from the replies it seems that it will be ok for a Sled.

Regards

Quick bit of research suggests that the formaldehyde has been reduced/substituted due to change from 'probable carcinogen' to 'carcinogen', and the fact that formaldehyde is emitted [albeit in low levels] for months after cutting. The ban seems to be a worldwide myth.

Back