Table saw / Router table WIP - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mighty_Genghis":10cptfpt said:
Frugal,

It isn't in their catologue but if you ring them they will know what you are talking about (its what I did). On their receipt its down as 'Router Aluminium Table Insert *OFFER PRICE* £29.50 plus vat (305x230x9.5)' but no part number

paul
Paul,
What size is the insert hole please?

Jeff.

I like the fence, Paul, especially the sliding feature of the two face plates.

Will you be covering those in a laminate at some point as well?

I'd be very careful if you intend to rout-out those between the two holes you now have on the back of your fence. I've tried to do something similar before on a router table and, because the cutter can catch the piece on both sides, there was some dangerous snatching of the MDF involved! :shock:

You may be a lot better off, and safer, drilling out the waste first and then cleaning it all up with a chisel after. Not sure if using a handheld router would be any safter really - the last thing you want to do is end up with one very big hole! :wink:

motownmartin":39z3wt9i said:
Nioce one paul, doesn't it feel good when you have made your own kit.
Feels excellent, in spite of the minor b@lls up ! I'm probably going to leave the holes as they are, eventually just replacing the two pieces with a couple of off-cuts.

lemonjeff":39z3wt9i said:
Paul,

I'll measure it when I get home tonight and let you know

OPJ":39z3wt9i said:
Will you be covering those in a laminate at some point as well?
Where could I source some laminate from ? I keep seeing it mentioned on the forum but haven't got a clue where to get it from

Do you not have any offcuts left over from the fireback you used for the top? That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of.

OPJ":37vzw1vd said:
Do you not have any offcuts left over from the fireback you used for the top? That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of.

nope, i put it on the underside of the top as a result of all the threads that talked about top's warping when underneath had a different material because of moisture absorbtion

suppose I could go for more fireback but its £30 a throw (isn't it amazing how tight we all can be about £30 on plastic when I'd worry less about blowing hundreds on big kit) :lol:

lemonjeff":z65rd56i said:
Mighty_Genghis":z65rd56i said:
Frugal,

It isn't in their catologue but if you ring them they will know what you are talking about (its what I did). On their receipt its down as 'Router Aluminium Table Insert *OFFER PRICE* £29.50 plus vat (305x230x9.5)' but no part number

paul
Paul,

Jeff.

Jeff, sorry for delay I was kanckered when I got home from work yesterday so didn't head out the workshop. Attached is a picture I just took which shows the hole to be 4 inches, it also shows the inserts that come with it :

2327394428_ff572b07dc.jpg

Paul, do you reckon 1mm thick acrylic might do the job?

Just noticed there's a guy in the General Woodworking forum who's looking to do a router table of his own and has found some very cheap acrylic.

OPJ":jd37u5te said:
Paul, do you reckon 1mm thick acrylic might do the job?

Just noticed there's a guy in the General Woodworking forum who's looking to do a router table of his own and has found some very cheap acrylic.
might be just the job, i've just found a local plastics supplier so am going to try them first (always good to see something before buying it)

Paul,
Thanks for that.
Looking at this
2237670750_620998f34b.jpg

There's lip which looks like it makes the hole about 3 1/2" Dia.
I have a 3 1/2" Panel bit do you think there's enough meat on the lip to take little bit off?

Jeff.

Jeff,

the current opening is 3 1/4 inch, if you shaved some off it could undermine the screw holes for the inserts :
2333723126_16af573efc.jpg

just tried using my new fence for the first time, worked an absolute treat :

2333723040_29022f44a8.jpg

Back