Table Saw kickback and trimmed finger (Graphic description & images)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nasty. You have my sympathies.

With 20/20 hindsight, your left hand should not have been anywhere near 3” from the blade, nor pushing sideways so as to pinch the kerf at the end of cut.

I lay the push stick to the right of the fence, and start feeding with both hands.

Once the timber engages the riving knife (essential fitting), you can keep your left hand behind the edge of the saw table. Feed applied by right hand, almost like a snooker shot.

As ’my’ end of the workpiece crosses the edge of the table, the push stick is used by right hand to finish the cut, left hand stays behind the edge.

Easier to demonstrate than describe. Basically, my left hand is always close enough to the near table edge to hook my thumb around. Some advocate two push sticks, which I respect but is not for me.

Last edited:
I hate seeing this kind of tale but sincerely hope it encourages everybody to think twice,at least,before pressing the green button.I'm hoping that both the victims have a pain free and swift recovery.

I wish you a speedy recovery and as soon as you can get straight back on that horse . I garantee you will be thinking of this accident for many years to come , your injured finger will be a constant reminder but that should serve you well in future . My only working related severe injury came from a 9 “ angle grinder that I got completely complacent with and broke severeral safety rules. As it kicked out of my hands it fell onto my big toe ( my new trainers was no match for that big very fast spinning disk . Like yourself I was very lucky as it could easily taken my foot … been at my friends house today ( under extensive renovation ) asked him why there is a large blood stain on the floor he tells me one of the builders almost lost 2 fingers with a mitre saw . I replied -was it Dave ! How did you guess he asked - because I told him off the other day because he was cutting tiles with an angle grinder and once he had started the cut he was holding it by the cable only and letting the grinder cut by him pulling the cable 🫣🫣☠️☠️ his excuse was he didn’t want the dust to get in his eyes ( no gloves , eye protection , or ear defenders ) in fact 0 ppe ..he has 2 fingers cut to the bone ,…get well soon ..

Sorry to hear of your injury, and I wish you a speedy recovery. I was on my table saw today, which like many others I see as the spinning wheel of trying to maim/kill you. Learning from others is so much less painful, but more difficult than from your own experiences so thanks for your courage to post, its a sobering reminder.

The guard was in place, I had a push-stick in my right hand feeding the timber through.

I was standing to the left of the saw, so would have been clear of flying timber...
My Left hand was just lightly pressing the wood against the fence.... possibly as i was at the end of the cut it would have been further forward than normal..

I was at the end of the cut so 4 1/2 inches of blade would have been exposed.. (Teeth only just clearing the wood. )

It happened so fast that I'm still not sure how my left hand ended up touching the blade. It was a 24 teeth rip blade (12" blade) so big teeth..

My left hand would have been exactly 3 inches away from the side of the blade....
Sounds like (almost) everything being done sensibly; apart from the left hand obviously being too close/not using a push stick for that. Really easy to be wise with hindsight of course; my point is that it's a good example of how it's possible to operate a machine with some thought to safety but still get caught out.

Totally understand the "happened so fast" bit; of the few nasty incidents I've had on table saws (fortunately only destroyed push sticks, with a resulting sore hand and wrist) the incident occurs so suddenly it takes a moment to realise it's even happened.

Ouch!! Thanks for having the fortitude to post that on a public forum where we can all learn from your misfortune.

My TS scares the cråp out of me, to the point that I bought a bandsaw and do all my rip cutting on that instead.

my point is that it's a good example of how it's possible to operate a machine with some thought to safety but still get caught out.
There is the issue and a reason why many of these incidents occur, only some thought to safety and not being completely on the ball. You should approach a table saw as if approaching a lion in a cage, you don't stick your hand or fingers to close .

Thank you for being brave and sharing the pain.
All of us mess up. The most positive thing we can do is share our mistakes so others have a chance to learn the easy way, not the hard way. 🙏

If some of the comments here feel just a little like "I (could have) told you so", please see it as members reminding themselves and others of how easily we could be bitten by our own saws and what we might do to avoid it.

I had no idea that these injuries were so common. That comes as a shock and salutory reminder even when you think you're aware of the dangers of a saw.
I was just thinking as I got to your comment that there seemed to be some very “I told you so” responses here which aren’t really helpful.

As a total amateur/DIYer I’ve had to learn what little I know from places like here, Reddit, and YouTube (not the greatest of resources). My attitude is that “you don’t know what you don’t know” so although I could feel like I know what safe practices are, it could just be a case of ignorance is bliss, and that gap in my knowledge could result in a gap in fingers. I’ve looked quite a few times to try to figure out a way to get a sawstop imported because I really don’t want to lose a finger to further my knowledge on safe practices. I know I shouldn’t need it if I’m working safely, but even with the best of intentions, I will never be certain that what I’m doing is safe.

OP; hope you have a speedy recovery and thanks for sharing. I keep flip-flopping about whether I want to buy a table saw or try to make do without one. You’ve definitely made me pause for thought some more.

I was just thinking as I got to your comment that there seemed to be some very “I told you so” responses here which aren’t really helpful.

As a total amateur/DIYer I’ve had to learn what little I know from places like here, Reddit, and YouTube (not the greatest of resources). My attitude is that “you don’t know what you don’t know” so although I could feel like I know what safe practices are, it could just be a case of ignorance is bliss, and that gap in my knowledge could result in a gap in fingers. I’ve looked quite a few times to try to figure out a way to get a sawstop imported because I really don’t want to lose a finger to further my knowledge on safe practices. I know I shouldn’t need it if I’m working safely, but even with the best of intentions, I will never be certain that what I’m doing is safe.

OP; hope you have a speedy recovery and thanks for sharing. I keep flip-flopping about whether I want to buy a table saw or try to make do without one. You’ve definitely made me pause for thought some more.
Easy to avoid losing fingers - never have them nearer than the length of a push stick away from a TS blade or spindle cutter. Also push sticks very low cost.
Saw-stop looks like madness to me - extremely expensive, can be switched off, might fail even if switched on, doesn't help on the other 99.999% of machines which don't have it.

Easy to avoid losing fingers - never have them nearer than the length of a push stick away from a TS blade or spindle cutter. Also push sticks very low cost.
Saw-stop looks like madness to me - extremely expensive, can be switched off, might fail even if switched on, doesn't help on the other 99.999% of machines which don't have it.
Well yes, but then is there not a trade-off with a lack of control? If I don’t control the wood properly through the cut am I not increasing the risk of kickback, which may not remove a digit but it can still do a fair bit of damage.

I would hope to never need the sawstop mechanism, but it would bring me peace of mind that if ever I did make a mistake I could still pick my nose with both hands. I’m sure if I ever lost a finger or thumb and someone offered it back to me for a couple of thousand pounds I would happily pay it

Sorry you got injured and hope it does not put you off woodwork. As said its brave of you posting it on here as a warning to the rest of us about getting complacent around saws. Hope it all heals up well.
The picture of the stitched up finger cast me strait back to 1982 when I did the ship masters medical course at Aberdeen hospital. Same thing, a saw injury. I was holding the guys finger together as the doc put in the stitches. Job was going ok until I saw the doc forcing a stitch through the finger nail. I was not usually affected by the sight of gore but I almost lost it there. The doc noticed I was looking a bit off and calmly said all good almost done. Patient thought he was talking to him and he said fine here. I kept quiet and hung on. I have a great deal of respect for medical staff who do that every day and I know for sure I am not cut out for it.
Regards
John

Sorry you got injured and hope it does not put you off woodwork. As said its brave of you posting it on here as a warning to the rest of us about getting complacent around saws. Hope it all heals up well.
The picture of the stitched up finger cast me strait back to 1982 when I did the ship masters medical course at Aberdeen hospital. Same thing, a saw injury. I was holding the guys finger together as the doc put in the stitches. Job was going ok until I saw the doc forcing a stitch through the finger nail. I was not usually affected by the sight of gore but I almost lost it there. The doc noticed I was looking a bit off and calmly said all good almost done. Patient thought he was talking to him and he said fine here. I kept quiet and hung on. I have a great deal of respect for medical staff who do that every day and I know for sure I am not cut out for it.
Regards
John
Just reading the nail bit, had my toes curling.

Throbbing away by now. Which is something i remember from my own little mishap :LOL:

And don't feel too sorry for yourself, these things do happen, and tbh it could have very easily been a hell of a lot worse.

Sorry to hear of your accident - brave of you to post about it! Hope you get back into action quickly.
Seems to be the most common serious accident in woodworking.

ALWAYS use two push sticks, NEVER have your hands nearer to a TS or a spindle than say 6"
Use the standard pattern widely available Axminster Workshop Push Stick and make copies from ply or mdf. Unlike your fingers they are consumables and it doesn't matter if they get shortened.
HSE regs are very slack on this and American youtubers are insane risk takers, so ignore them both.
HSE only applies to businesses, not DIYers.

Yes but DIYers will refer to HSE regs, which are inadequate in terms of TS safety. Arguably this makes them responsible for the very many accidents as typically described by @BarbaraT above

Last edited:
True, but there are good to excellent suggestions towards safe work practices outlined in the guidance. Amateur woodworkers have much to gain from learning how to operate machinery as safely as possible and the HSE can help, so why ignore it, if that's what you're suggesting. Slainte.

Very sorry to hear of your accident and my best wishes for a quick recovery. A useful tip - if the hand / finger is painful or throbbing, elevate it. In my experience, too many doctors and nurses fail to emphasise this. Either use the good fingers to hook onto the collarbone or if seated put your forearm on a pillow, the same when in bed. Gravity causes swelling, which is painful.

Simon
Retired doctor

True, but there are good to excellent suggestions towards safe work practices outlined in the guidance. Amateur woodworkers have much to gain from learning how to operate machinery as safely as possible and the HSE can help, so why ignore it, if that's what you're suggesting. Slainte.
I'm suggesting that they ignore their TS advice which shows one peculiar design of push stick and a a video of a chap just using one. Last time I looked at any rate!
Also there's general advice all over the place about grabbers and odd shaped push sticks (e.g.the boot shape) which should be revised.
Your link entirely misses out the option of having crown guard attached to riving knife and the need for two push sticks. Very simple, cheap, effective safety measures. Basically bad advice by omission, but also presents a weird inadequate push stick design.
"A push-stick should always be used to remove the cut piece from between the saw blade and fence, unless the width of the cut piece exceeds 150 mm." is also bad advice as there's is still a risk and it would be easier to do it with a push stick in the first place - and one should already be in your hand at that point.
"A push-stick should always be used when making any cut less than 300 mm in length or when feeding the last 300 mm of a longer cut." also bad advice. I'd edit it to say "Two push-sticks should be used when making most cuts, and always at least one when feeding the last of it past the blade"

Last edited:
Back