Table Saw Axminster BTS10ST or Bosch GTS10XC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodds

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm in the market for a good budget but accurate saw. I have narrowed down these two based on buyer reviews and capability.

The saw is not something I would be using daily. I would like among other things perhaps to do a bit of resawing.

The saws use would be purely Hobby use and would very rarely see a bit of 80 or 90mm (just a well really as both these saws would not deal with this size)

I'm open to suggestions as to alternative saws but my budget is upto £650. My workshop is quiet small so a unit that is easily moved is a must.

Also any thoughts about quality of blades.

Thanks
Tony

i have the GTs10xc at home in my DIY cellar workshop, its fantastic for what it is IMO, its relatively quiet, was ready to go & accurate straight from the box., mine gets used to cut a lot of oak... at full cut depth, have chucked it in the car and taken it round to mates houses to help them with their jobs & i have never had any issue with it, had it 5 or 6 years now i think.

My personal opinion is that nothing around that money beats the dewalt dw745. with the rack and pinion fence its super accurate, ive used it to make windows and doors on site and the accuracy and repeatability are dead on,

try to find a local stockist so you can get a feel for them or even check out some youtube videos

as for blades you cant go wrong with freud

Alexfn":33rt8it9 said:
My personal opinion is that nothing around that money beats the dewalt dw745.

Thank-you, how accurate is the supplied mitre for the DW and can your fit something like the Incra mitre gauge?

Tony

Hi tony the one supplied is junk as with all these types of saw. I hardly ever used it as i mostly work with long stock and have a kapex.

Im pretty sure other guys on the forum have found solutions. I will have a look tomorrow

The problem with most mitre gauge's is the slop in the channel, a lot of guys have had success using a nail punch to increase the side area in one or two places and filing to fit the mitre slot better, if you are thinking of trying to fit an after market mitre gauge, check the size of the mitre slot matches the gauge you intend to buy, a great variance between European metric and USA imperial slots.

Mike

I have an interest in this as currently saving up for that exact Bosch machine.

One thing that does concern me though is I've seen a few reviews on Amazon with people complaining the motor burned out within a few months.

I know you have to take all reviews with pinch of salt but thought I'd mention it.

After a suggestion to look at a Dewalt DW745 (Alexfn), I did some investigation and found that although a bit dearer it appears to have all the functionality that I need.

There are loads of reviews out there and an enormous amount to be found on YouTube

Okay you cant fit a Dado stack to it like you can the Bosch but it does support aftermarket accessories like the Incra 1000 mitre gauge, which is a big plus if you want accuracy.
As far as the Dado cutting goes I can always use my router for that.

I see there are different version 1 - 4. Does anyone know what the difference is between them?

At the moment they are selling for around £415.

hi tony

i doubt the uk version of the bosch has a spindle for a dado stack, anyone know otherwise?

as for the versions of the dewalt. im honesty not sure but think there has just been little tweeks over time,, id go for the latest model

Surprised no one has said it, but for re-sawing you really need a bandsaw, not a table saw, having said that do you really need a portable/site saw, within your budget cast iron table top saws are available, these can easily be made movable with castors on the bottom of a stand. As for blades cost against quality you can't beat Feud for a table saw and Tuff saws for a bandsaw.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I do have a bandsaw and do use it for resawing, though not very good at it. I think I would get on better with a table saw as the blade won't wander and I'm only resawing small bits that are well inside the cut depth of a table saw.

A proper table saw is far too big for my small shop. It would be nice to have but don't have the space. I can tuck a site saw out of the way or incorporate it into a workbench.

Tony

If your bandsaw blade wanders when you re-saw with it something is not set up correctly or you do not have a decent blade in it, what bandsaw is it and what make of blade? I can take 1mm slivers off a 100mm oak square log with mine now its set up and has a decent blade in it.

If you are considering building a saw into a work bench then this will probably serve you better: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... w-ax943888 there is even a smaller version, but both have cast iron tables and they are a perfectly good hobby saw.

You don't have to have the extension table or mitre slide table, but this thread may interest you: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html on the thread you will see one of the contributors (Pike) built a movable table for a standard version without the extensions.

Mike

Mike
The Bandsaw is a Record 300E. From memory it takes upto 3/4" blade. It isn't the best in the world I know but all I could afford at the time.

I'm sure it is my technique and the set-up which is at fault. As my school teacher used to say "must try harder"

Thanks for the links, appreciate it.

I have chosen the Dewalt now and it arrived yesterday. Nice bit of kit. One of the factors i considered was the availability of third party mitres. The Dewalt being American has the same mitre gauge track as the Incra 1000HD. (he says hopefully) I should now be able to cut accurate angles.

Tony

Lodds

Look for the u-tube presentation by Alex Snodgrass on setting up a Bandsaw, once set up as he suggests you will wonder why everyone does not do the same, it transformed my little bandsaw I had been struggling with for years, my BS350 can re-cut down to 1mm now.

Mike

EDIT to add link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Lodds":2egd1rkr said:
Mike
The Bandsaw is a Record 300E. From memory it takes upto 3/4" blade. It isn't the best in the world I know but all I could afford at the time.
The BS300E is a perfectly good bandsaw but it won't adequately tension a 3/4" blade, get a 1/2" blade from Tuffsaws, wind the tension right up and you should find it cuts perfectly straight after you've adjusted it the Snodgrass way.

Back