Table saw...Axi AW10 or xcalibur HW 110 LGE ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi again..still haven't made my mind up :?
(You may remember my post on TS under £1000 a week or two ago).

I bidded on an old sip 01332 on fleabay, which i went to see as it was near to me. I didn't get it :cry: it went for bout £450. I ruled out the itech (going cheaper than axi and sip,but heard they're not as good despite looking the same at a glance, and s&s didn't bother getting back to me regarding doing a deal if i got a DE aswell from them...so i saw that as a sign to look elsewhere!).

Long story short; after looking at all there was within or near my budget, i was about to go for the Axi AW10...(Store up the road so i went to see and hear it, extra free blade promised, 3year no quibble parts and labour guarantee, free delivery, as good ,or the same as the sip, good availability of parts, etc etc)......and then...i see the xcalibur HW110LGE from Woodford. Oh bu**er,i thought, back to square one, cos this saw looks really nice!!(even tho it's £1250 +£90 delivery) Trouble is,i can't find any reviews or opinions on this saw; only the older xcalibur 806, which has been talked about on this forum. I've called Woodford twice; the guy was out, so I've emailed my queries, but no reply yet, and he's bound to tell me it's the best saw for the money anyway!

Does anyone own this saw, or know much about it?? Please enlighten me, or help push me to make a decision!!
I'm half expecting you all to shout "stop f*rting around,get on with it and order the Axi" ....and that would be a fine responce!!

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure :lol:

Thanks to all in advance,

Jules

Can't link on my phone, but go to next page and look at the thread on Harvey HW 110 LGE. I think it is the saw you are looking for.

Terry.

Does look like a very nice bit of kit. I'm envious of you. Curious about the dado aspect though? I thought we weren't allowed to purchase those in Europe as they increase the brake time? ..and you had to import something yourself?

transatlantic":19wfeikc said:
Does look like a very nice bit of kit. I'm envious of you. Curious about the dado aspect though? I thought we weren't allowed to purchase those in Europe as they increase the brake time? ..and you had to import something yourself?

No doubt Mr Maskery will be along shortly to give chapter and verse on what is and isn't allowed :D

Wizard9999":25nyyzeu said:
Can't link on my phone, but go to next page and look at the thread on Harvey HW 110 LGE. I think it is the saw you are looking for.

Terry.

Thanks! Yep that's the one.. and a useful review too. If it's £1250 PLUS VAT (which wasn't made clear on the woodford site) and £75+vat delivery,that's £1590 which is well over my (intended) budget :cry: ..and i don't think i can wait too long til I've got a nice new saw in my workshop!

Maybe i should just go for the AW10...unless somebody on here persuades me not to in the next 24 hours!

Jules

transatlantic":2yuftxau said:

The brake time only applies to commercial use, not DIY or home use.

Mike

I recently went through the same dilemma, but eventually came to the conclusion that the bigger footprint was not worth it, having all my bench's at the same height and everything on locking castors, infeed and outfeed tables can be positioned as needed and when the saw is not in use it can be pushed into a corner out of the way, my eventual choice was the Axminster TS250: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... w-ax943888 on a purpose made rolling base, draws and crown guard extract not shown on this photo.

Mike

MikeJhn":15haixyg said:
transatlantic":15haixyg said:

The brake time only applies to commercial use, not DIY or home use.

Mike
Really? Seems a little odd?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Perhaps a little bit, but to explain a bit further, the braking time is a requirement in commercial use, there is no such requirement in DIY, hence why nearly all saws sold do not have the function until you pay a premium price, have a look at the Axminster trade series of saws.

Mike

MikeJhn":hqi6aq76 said:
Perhaps a little bit, but to explain a bit further, the braking time is a requirement in commercial use, there is no such requirement in DIY, hence why nearly all saws sold do not have the function until you pay a premium price, have a look at the Axminster trade series of saws.

Mike

But the £100 Titan tablesaw has a brake, and so doess my £200 Scheppach?

transatlantic":2395oo39 said:
MikeJhn":2395oo39 said:

Mike

But the £100 Titan tablesaw has a brake, and so doess my £200 Scheppach?

That's fine and probably because these saws are used on building site's, but its not a requirement for any saw not used in a commercial environment, this is all in answer to your previous post that said that Dado's where not allowed as they increased the braking time.

Mike

I have the Deft branded version of the Xcalibur saw, so same saw just under a different name - its brilliant. I'm very happy with mine and managed to pick it up in great nick off fleabay for £560! If you want to see videos of the saw look at 'Laguna Fusion saw' on Youtube, there are lots of in-depth vids of it on there.

Feels very well built, the fence is brilliant, yes it can accept dado's which are perfectly UK legal, weighs a ton and mine is very accurate. I replaced the arbour bearings in it and its easy to take apart to work on, though I'm sure they all are.

Dust extraction is pretty non-existent and bear in mind the fence is slightly different to what's pictured, its extruded aluminium and not plastic. i'm actually going to buy some polypropylene and make my own.

The supplied mitre gauge is actually really good and has no slop in the slot, unlike the junk that comes with the Axminster. You can get some very nice accessories to go with it, a decent sliding table and also a very nice looking router table extension which I'm looking at.

Its also a left tilter which is something to bear in mind, the Axi is right tilt. Make sure you have a Type-C breaker as obviously it spikes on start-up.

In all, I looked at the Axi in store and I'm very happy I got the Deft instead, obviously it's better quality however if its way out of budget I'm not sure its worth spending the extra, depends on use I guess...I use mine for a few hours every day so wanted to make sure I got something that would last.

Chris

Nice shop Mike!

This is an interesting comment for me as if I bought a tablesaw it would likely be the TS250 or a AW10BSB2. Other than the AW10 being more powerful and having a bigger table what else do you get that is better for the extra £300? Is the extraction or fence improved?

The TS250 with the extension table has a revised fence from the standard table and I find it very good, as to extraction, I have fitted the big mouth duct under the table with a few mods internally and it has transformed the amount of dust not on the floor under the saw, is the extra power needed? the max cut is the same on both saws and I can cut 75mm oak on the TS250.

Mods to the TS250 for better dust extraction: axminster-ts-250-upgrading-base-and-dust-extraction-t99592.html its now the best table saw extraction I have ever used or seen.

Mike

The 10 second rule is a bit ridiculous - a tablesaw can do a huge amount of damage in half a second - the other 9.5 seconds aren't going to make much difference...

chris-a":35mwxw3q said:
I have the Deft branded version of the Xcalibur saw, so same saw just under a different name - its brilliant. I'm very happy with mine and managed to pick it up in great nick off fleabay for £560!

I think that is deserving of a few more "!", sounds like a steal. =D>

Terry.

chris-a":2wa5pu9r said:
I have the Deft branded version of the Xcalibur saw, so same saw just under a different name - its brilliant. I'm very happy with mine and managed to pick it up in great nick off fleabay for £560! If you want to see videos of the saw look at 'Laguna Fusion saw' on Youtube, there are lots of in-depth vids of it on there.

Feels very well built, the fence is brilliant, yes it can accept dado's which are perfectly UK legal, weighs a ton and mine is very accurate. I replaced the arbour bearings in it and its easy to take apart to work on, though I'm sure they all are.

Dust extraction is pretty non-existent and bear in mind the fence is slightly different to what's pictured, its extruded aluminium and not plastic. i'm actually going to buy some polypropylene and make my own.

The supplied mitre gauge is actually really good and has no slop in the slot, unlike the junk that comes with the Axminster. You can get some very nice accessories to go with it, a decent sliding table and also a very nice looking router table extension which I'm looking at.

Its also a left tilter which is something to bear in mind, the Axi is right tilt. Make sure you have a Type-C breaker as obviously it spikes on start-up.

In all, I looked at the Axi in store and I'm very happy I got the Deft instead, obviously it's better quality however if its way out of budget I'm not sure its worth spending the extra, depends on use I guess...I use mine for a few hours every day so wanted to make sure I got something that would last.

Chris

Thanks Chris..the xcalibur/harvey/deft from woodford IS getting way to pricey for me, especially as I'm not entirely sure where I'm heading creatively in my workshop! It will involve woodwork,as always, but i doubt (for now) the extra cost would be justified. As ive been used to a noisy (but great) bosch site saw for years, the Axi AW10 seems a logical step up.

Many thanks

Jules

An update for those interested...I went bonkers and got the xcaliber hw 110 lge. Arrived today. Even though I've not finished setting it up,I'm blown away by the quality. Twas like Christmas day unpacking it! It's heavy. The lorry driver stayed for 1 1/2 hours helping me get the thing into my WS and drink tea. Nice chap.

Can you imagine what a huge step up it will be from my old wobbly site saw : )

Jules

Back