Table saw advice - one more time !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ralph, that was a long and very complete answer but not to my question :) !
Probably because I was not clear what I meant by a site saw.

For me a site saw is, for example, a Metabo (was E-B) TKHS315 or a Scheppach TS315; definitely with a pressed steel top. Your old Ryobi had an ali top you say.

I can see them ripping apart roof rafters - but in a workshop ?

For me a site saw is, for example, a Metabo (was E-B) TKHS315 or a Scheppach TS315; definitely with a pressed steel top. Your old Ryobi had an ali top you say.

I can see them ripping apart roof rafters - but in a workshop ?

I suspect it's all to common to dismiss a site saw like the JET or Scheppach as a serious shop saw. Well, I've used a TKU for years and all I can say is it's powerful with a decent depth of cut and I can still make something to the same accuracy as any Joe Bloggs with their big cast iron jobbie.

Having said that, the economics have swung more in favour of the likes of a Fox/Axminster table saw clone over the last few years, as the price differential has eroded considerably.

cheers,

Ike

Hi Topaz

I will try to answer your questions :shock: :wink:

Some of what I am going to say is just what I have seen on the forum and Ez site but I will be able to test a lot more soon
:D

1/ The rails rails will not twist/sag because they are double walled and are thicker than yours.
Also the rail has two slots under it and the Bridge has two connectors on the top so I would think it cant twist :)

2/ That is how I think it works but I shood be able to you all soon if it does work ( mine has not turned up yet :cry: :? )

I hope this helps

I have no connection to EZ but just a happy customer.

Firstly, I'd like to say Hello, this is my first post, and I'm afraid I'm already asking for help and advice.

I sorta had my mind made up to buy either the Axminster BTS10PP or the Jet JTS-10, I asked for some advice and got directed here. I read many of the posts on here about Bench saws, and even though the quality and experience shines through, I'm still confused!

I've wanted a bench saw for too long now as I rely on my lumber supplier to have the time to cut my order for me, far from ideal.

I only have a small garage and thought that either of the two machines above would do my job, but I do require them to be accurate, and have been disappointed to discover that this is not the case.

Do I really need to buy a machine in the 400 - 500GBP tag range to get something to do the job? If thats the answer well I'll have to reconsider my options, but space is at a premium.

Thanks in advance for your helpful input.

:)

Thanks for the welcome...I am making beehives at the moment and a saw to cut them out would be a boon!

Cheers

:)

Hello Topaz,depending on how close your Spero is to Holzher or festo could you mount it in one of their table systems? Have you seen the Lurem Flip system - something like this with a sliding carriage would be very usefull as a dimension saw.I use a Metabo(lurem) 1693 and the carriage is very well made

Hello Shrubby. Well, this is yet another "new approach" that I had never heard of! Google does not reveal much except 4 pages of PDF in Fr/Eng. I guess the idea is that you mount an existing CS in the table, a la Triton. Oh, I have just found a video. . .

Is the sliding table included in the standard package?
Any ideas of pound/euro costs? (The video site suggests 349 Euros for basic blue bit plus a CS table.)
Thanks the info.

This is a continuation of the OP.
Yesterday I drove to Gouda (NL) to look at a Güde TK 2500 UG table saw. This is the same as the Charnwood W614.
The price seemed too good to be true (230 Euros) and I wanted to see how much better it was to the Ferm-type 10" standard beast. On examination not much.
The blade was atrocious (as expected but not this bad). There is no removable table insert - apart from anything else this would make it a real hassle to change the blade. The aluminium top seemed flimsy, almost "tinny". The side extensions are really only supports, no attempt to be real extensions of the main table top. The mitre grooves are narrow. The mitre gauge was not bad but it ran with considerable play in the groove. The stand is a closed, folding, pressed steel box, not in itself bad but what a waste of space; at least you can do something with a stand. The saw has a belt drive which was a plus point but underneath it was very cramped and everything seemed to be bolted to the steel box and alu top of the saw. There was no bottom and the blade was not enclosed in anyway, so it will be full of sawdust.
The best thing was the fence. This worked well with a single front clamping mechanism; it was rigid and square. However, it was let down by a stick-on strip for the measuring tape (no chance of zero-adjustment) which attempted to extend to the extension table in a very tatty way.

Of course going all that way one does not like to come home empty-handed. But I resisted, warned by this group - I knew I would come home with an awful feeling of "oh G*d, this is not the right buy".
And with a bit more effort - even at double the cost - it could have been a good starters saw for serious people.
(There was a Bosch PTS 10 there (the smaller brother of the GTS 10, or 4000 in the US). That was a bit more than double the price but at least you had the impression that someone had seriously sat down and designed it.)

On the otherhand, it was a good dealer, with his "own" brand and even having a special room for his Festool dealership. (Even he could not recommend the even cheaper bench-top TK 2500; he said better take the Ferm box.)

I had the impression that dealers go to China/Taiwan tool shows and pick what they think best suits their customers' needs. Isn't it time that they gave input, demanding "that is want we want"?

Hope this trip report helps someone.

Colin C":2gmcqub1 said:
......and Scrit has said Holz-Her was a good make.
They were an excellent make and even used to manufacture some of the Festool machines until the firm failed about 3 years back (the item in question was the belt sander). Festool took over part of the Holz-Her manufacturing line and even resurrected the Holz-Her laminate trimmer (the 2350) in a new Festool guise. Holz-Her were also the first firm to make a plunging power saw (the Mosquito) as long ago as the late 1970s and in that period were also noted for making almost many of Bosch's blue industrial drills to boot. The machinery division of the company (which makes beam saws, CNC routers, edge banders, wall saws, etc) is still going, BTW.

I'll be interested to see what Colin comes up with as I have a couple of ideas of my own, especially as my first table saw comprised a B&D HD1250 (?) saw screwed beneath a sheet of plywood and held in the Workmate - the rip fence was two bits of 3 x 2 PAR pine screwed together and held using a couple of G-clamps (a method I used on my flip-over saw recently when I found I'd left the rip fence in the workshop) but the dangerous bits were that it had no DoL starter and there was no crown guard. Were I building something similar today I'd try to add a guard at least.

Shrubby":2gmcqub1 said:
Have you seen the Lurem Flip system - something like this with a sliding carriage would be very useful as a dimension saw?
This is a recent reworking of the Elu (now deWalt) flip-over system which appeared more than 30 years ago. I have a DW742 for site work and it's a very versatile machine, albeit a tad underpowered. The plus side is that DW (and Elu before them) still do a proper sliding carraige accessory kit for the saw. The downsides are that the rip fence isn't the greatest (although can live with mine), the mitre fence is a bit quirky it runs along one edge of the steel table top) and the price is a bit high (at £550 to £600 with max. discount) so possibly a bit "tall" for this discussion. Interesting alternative, nonetheless, an a good portable saw for general joinery work I find. Judging from the number you still see around I'm probably not alone in that opinion

Scrit

Scrit":2hdhotp4 said:
I'll be interested to see what Colin comes up with as I have a couple of ideas of my own

Scrit

:oops: :oops: I have to admit that I have forgotten about this but I will try to do some thing in SU.

Can some one show me a pic from under the FT rails please :wink:

Back