Sycamore tv cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattty

Established Member
Reaction score
Delivered this week-

Made from lovely native Cumbrian Sycamore, AB Walnut beads/handles and Oak back panel.

DSCF3245.JPG

DSCF3249.JPG

DSCF3253.JPG

Done!

Lovely. I don't think we've seen any of your work for a while Matty. Very skilled, but simple work. I'm really starting to like Sycamore. Not least because I have a ton of it sitting on my drive! :lol:

Wow sycamore has some crazy grain! Is this some particularly special cut of the wood? I love the look of the wood and oak on the back!!! blimey :)

The right hand door looks lonely to me. Not sure what else could have been done to make it flow better (IMO) apart from adding another door though.

Sycamore can be very bland in terms of figure\grain. This sort of figuring can be called ripple or simply figured. But sometimes it's just a mixed bag. I bought a board that was supposed to be ripple and it just looks like banana milkshake. i.e plain pale yellow ;)

Wow, that's some beautiful sycamore! :shock: I've generally found that the locally-grown stuff has far more "character" and figuring than European sycamore.

If it was me, I would have liked to have done something slightly different with the top (just a personal thing; I don't like centre lines where two boards join).

:)

OPJ":35aw41h3 said:
If it was me, I would have liked to have done something slightly different with the top

Three boards? Thin strip of ABW?

wizer":wlghsyny said:
OPJ":wlghsyny said:
If it was me, I would have liked to have done something slightly different with the top

Three boards? Thin strip of ABW?

It's tricky... I do like an odd number of boards but, I also like to keep them fairly wide (as Mattty has done)! :roll: Book-matching might work on the sides of a piece but, depending on what it is, it might not be too much for the top... Inlaying would attempt to hide a join but could look quite alien if it's not part of a theme or feature elsewhere on the piece.

Good job Matty, I take it this sycamore was from Philip Richardson then? Some nice grain and figure in there, worth hunting through the boards to get good boards.

Only thing I don't like is the slab top, could do with some relieving on the edge

Maybe we should have a summer bash at Chez Matty...... :D 8-[ :whistle:

Stunning.

Where do I get sycamore like that from? I'd be willing to pay a bit for it, which is unusual...

Aidan

Thanks for the comments folks.

Yes it was from Philip, lovely fella with a lovely selection of native timber. I've bought most of this log- infact i bought all he had left last time i went there, along with about 6cube of English Elm and some lovely Oak burrs.

This is one of 4 or 5 pieces i've made for the same client, all the pieces are slightly 'chunky'. I originally tried various edge treatments and the client chose the thicker style top- they pays the money!

OPJ i kind of understand your thoughts on the top. But personally i'd rather not cut planks to make smaller more stable boards at the risk of losing figure especially if the timber is at a stable and consistent MC. I appreciate the comments all the same though.

Does this guy have chunky tuning type size timber?

Oh a lovely bit of wood and I'm anyone's :lol:

Anything interesting Matty. Some of that figured sycamore would be nice as a big vase or bowl. I like Elm too. It's hard to say exactly what. But if you spot something. Next time you're there, either take a pic or just let me know the dimensions and wood type and I'll let you know. I'll PM you my number.

wizer":310omkxm said:
Oh a lovely bit of wood and I'm anyone's :lol:

Anything interesting Matty. Some of that figured sycamore would be nice as a big vase or bowl. I like Elm too. It's hard to say exactly what. But if you spot something. Next time you're there, either take a pic or just let me know the dimensions and wood type and I'll let you know. I'll PM you my number.
I owe you a favour mate. I'll post you down a few bits of stuff. I have some decent sized bits of spalted Beech and some smaller bits of Rip Syc. The elm is all 1" so not as useful for turning.
I'll have a root around.
I'll certainly take some pics next time i'm there.

I thought the style looked similar Matty, was there another piece in oak or walnut a while back - the one where you made about 15 different handles before deciding on the one

What timber does that chap in Cumbria tend to have in? Looks like it varies but if he gets a lot of Qsawn UK oak for example it could be worth a trip

Latest posts

Back