A Little JK Something....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke65

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_1045.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg
IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1042.jpeg
IMG_1046.jpeg

An interpretation of Jim Krenov's cabinet that he made for his wife Britta in 1970. The original is still owned and used by his family; all the rest of his work was sold or is in a gallery. This is made in air dried English Oak, much of it pippy including the book matched door and back panels. The drawer has a centre runner and a Paduk base, all ancillary detailing (handles, wedges, door catches etc) in Yew. This was 'tricky' to make and required a lot of thought regarding the process of construction - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 171046View attachment 171051View attachment 171047View attachment 171048View attachment 171050

An interpretation of Jim Krenov's cabinet that he made for his wife Britta in 1970. The original is still owned and used by his family; all the rest of his work was sold or is in a gallery. This is made in air dried English Oak, much of it pippy including the book matched door and back panels. The drawer has a centre runner and a Paduk base, all ancillary detailing (handles, wedges, door catches etc) in Yew. This was 'tricky' to make and required a lot of thought regarding the process of construction - Rob
Hi Rob
Superb design and craftsmanship
Fred

There are a lot of little details in that which aren’t obvious on first glance but give the whole piece a real sense of togetherness.
Very nicely made

Does the cabinet 'free stand/hang' inside the frame?
Thanks chaps, appreciated. The cabinet 'floats' inside the frame so it took quite a lot of pondering to work out how assemble it. The top and bottom frames were glued precisely in place with the legs glued last of all - Rob

Beautiful craftsmanship. Do the legs flare out at the top or is it just the camera lens. ?

That is so good. Well done that man.

I don't want to detract from the design and execution, which really is flawless. I do however wonder, is it a project for yourself, a gift or is it something you will sell? What is the value of something like that - The hours alone not to mention the materials must put it quite high.

Please keep posting beautiful things like this.

That is so good. Well done that man.

I don't want to detract from the design and execution, which really is flawless. I do however wonder, is it a project for yourself, a gift or is it something you will sell? What is the value of something like that - The hours alone not to mention the materials must put it quite high.

Please keep posting beautiful things like this.
Something I did for myself and nothing I make is for sale. Not a clue what the value is but probably well into four figures; took about six months to build - Rob

Beautiful. Krenov would have been proud to have made it. What stunning woodworking. One of the finest pieces I've seen posted on a woodworking forum in a very, very long time -- maybe ever.

Back