TV/ stereo cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Just completed a couple of commissions for the same client.

This one is a TV cabinet with storage below for a stereo system and a drawer for CDs, DVDs and videos.

The construction is birch ply and tulipwood painted in Laura Ashley Country white to match the rest of the room.

The sky/ video support is hung from a strengthened top panel by bed bolts. The upper of the two drawers are joined together and attached to a pocket door hinge slide to allow access to the stereo.

Installation wasn't so tricky except that I couldn't use any filler at all on the scribing of the closing panels because the wallpaper is hand painted and extremely expensive. The panels return at 60deg rather than 45 to try to reduce the apparent width of the cabinet.

The cornice is reasonably complex (6 parts!) but what is worthy of particular mention are the roundels at each corner of the upper cabinet. These were made for me by Trevtheturner, who with his typical generosity wouldn't take payment. Thanks Trev - I think they look great.

DSCF0025-large.jpg

DSCF0031-large.jpg

Fold up false drawers for stereo
DSCF0037-large.jpg

DVD drawer
DSCF0040-large.jpg

DSCF0048-large.jpg

Trev's roundels
roundel-full.jpg

As usual, comments good or bad (esp constructive) are welcome.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,
That is a great looking piece, I am sure the clients were well pleased.

I am intrigued by what feature of the bed bolts had that that you needed? The knobs look very nice - have you a close up of them please?

Chris

Handles are from Hafele:

125.38.101P1.JPEG

Bedbolts were used to hold the box tight to the top of the cabinet. Side support is not possible because of the pocket doors. I drilled vertically into the edge of the box on each side and then put a flat head bolt through the top of the carcase, through these holes and then into a horizontally orientated nut. If that doesn't make sense then I'll draw it later.

Cheers

Tim

That's really nice Tim. And when the clients buy a 42" plasma you will have another commission. :D

Back