SWITCHING ISPs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BECKS

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, I am about to switch from AOL to SKY broadband. I have hundreds of web addresses saved in AOLs "favorite places" Does anybody know how I can transfer/ save these details? I can only cut+paste indivual addresses to folders or e-mail as far as I can make out. Help Please!!

Looks like AOL is trying its best to keep you locked in as from what I understand it is not possible to transfer your favourites directly to another browser.

All is not lost you may want to check out these:
http://www.mybookmarks.com/
http://www.linkagogo.com/

I believe (hope) they are free services that allow you to upload your favourites from one browser and download converted to IE or Firefox.

I have not tried either service so would be interested to see how you find them.

Hope this helps

Cheers :D
Tony

EDIT Update I knew I had a direct link for one of the above. Here are some instructions

1. Save your AOL favorites I think this will be saved as a .pfc file.
2. Go to HERE Make sure that the input is AOL PFC and the output is whichever browser you use
3. Click the "Browse" button and find the Favourites .pfc file
4. Click on the "Convert" button.
5. Open your browser
6. Choose Import and select the file you saved

I've never done it but in IE there is an 'Import/Export' option under 'File' which should give you what you are looking for? In Firefox you first choose 'Bookmarks - Organise Bookmarks' and do it from the 'File' menu there.

Is there a special interface with AOL because if you are using a standard browser (IE, Firefox etc) changing ISP shouldn't make you lose your bookmarks?

Brian

Hi All,
Not trying to hijack the thread here but I'm contemplating moving ISP from BT to SKY and wondered if there is a set procedure, any pointers and or pitfalls to pick up before I do it.
Very wary of doing this but as I am a SKY HD+ subscriber I think it makes sense but only if it is fairely painless.
Regards,
Martin

mahking51":tiik51n9 said:
Hi All,
Not trying to hijack the thread here but I'm contemplating moving ISP from BT to SKY and wondered if there is a set procedure, any pointers and or pitfalls to pick up before I do it.
Very wary of doing this but as I am a SKY HD+ subscriber I think it makes sense but only if it is fairely painless.
Regards,
Martin

Martin,

You need to get your MAC code from BT.

See here

Thanks for all the advice, I will post when I get it sorted (fingers crossed)
BECKS

Re switching from AOL, this may be relevant. A couple of years ago I know that AOL had a service they called "Bring Your Own Access" which enabled you to use the AOL front-end into a different ISP; I think this meant that favourites etc weren't lost, and you kept your aol email address. It was pretty cheap, as they weren't exactly providing much!

Might be worth checking out to see if they still do it - I don't think they shout about it much. I found them very helpful at the time when I decided to switch to BT; in fact BT were so completely lousy on the customer front that I switched back to aol again..........

Latest posts

Back