Surplus stock of hard wood bits n pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a slightly more optimistic sig than If it can go wrong it will go wrong, things must be looking up :lol:

Wish I could pinch that by-line!

Had another visit to the hotel they're doing up on Monday...

So far that flat back hasn't proved useful at all - it wasn't quite full, but there were joists in it that were 15' long at least, oh, and 6"x3" - they're going to the woods to make steps... (A mate asked me to help him out). Oh, and the pallets (hardwood of some sort) came in useful again - will get pics when I get home - visiting a poorly mum in Somerset at the mo, so no idea when I'll be back.

First job - remove the nails!
Second, empty garage,
Third? You guessed it - put it all back in again!

Wish me luck...

Space is so much more valuable than scraps of wood. Lets face it, you start a project first thing I do is off to the wood yard to buy it. Not looking through the scrap bin.

So heres what I do with mine. Goes into a 1 ton bag which I burn off. If the bag is full the rest goes in the garden waste bin. I do have a nice box of Chestnut off cuts that are all planned up and nice sizes which will be used one day. Everything else goes here:

Just last night I burnt some Walnut, Oak and Chestnut scraps along with loads of pine.

Homestly, for those of us (or am I the only one?) who 'use-up' small pieces of wood, I think it's a shame. ANY wood (so long as it's not rotten of course) could be made into something - oh, and someone did look in the scrap bin for B&Poo (their spelling) kitchen doors... :wink:

I'll happily take small bits for boxes etc - anyone in / near Derby can PM me!

I have a huge stock of small scraps and off cuts mainly because I rescue them from the college workshop bins.

I find it odd that a student would spend hundreds of pounds on walnut or yew boards or planks of exotics and then throw away the off cuts! I keep a box of them from out of the bin for patching up when they make mistakes. At least if the bit is from the same plank it will match better.

I also have oak from dismantled kitchen cupboard doors stacked all over the place and a few packing boxes of tiny exotics for jewellery and door/drawer handle making.

Speaking of Heaven, someone up there really doesn't like me. About 5am this morning I was kinda dozing, waking up when I heard an all mighty ker-aash! At first I thought I might have been dreaming? Thunder? Then I realised what it was. I didn't have to look. When we all went down stairs I slowly opened the door and found what I expected....

DSC_1261.JPG

DSC_1262.JPG

](*,)

Of course, I'd overloaded it. But it was the screws in the brick wall that failed. None of the supports are bent. I was in too much pain this morning to do anything about it, so left it and hobbled round a garden centre with HID and baby.

I just cleared it up a bit and the only thing that's damaged is a piece of spalted sycamore that basically shattered. At least it wasn't on the lathe when it did that!

I've got wood stored like this all around the workshop. I think it was the rawl plugs. Next time I'll use something beefier.

Wizer - too true the stuff wasn't on your lathe... and neither was any on your toes :p - why are YOU in pain? I thought it was my day! Back ache from bending down (all day) yesterday, removing nails from oak planks is my reason - what's yours?

Back