Surplus stock of hard wood bits n pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hivisvest72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just found this forum and having a quick look round at some posts it seems really good.

I'm a very hobbyist woodworker and have accumulated a pile of hardwood bits and pieces. A variety of shapes and sizes and types of wood (oak, sycamore, mahogony, maple) but not enough of any of it to make anything decent (no long lengths suitable for furniture etc).

I guess some of it might be suitable for turning, but I'm not a wood-turner so wouldn't know for sure.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to dispose of or sell this type of stuff?

Cheers

welcome hivis. pictures might help work out what it is you have and an idea of your location.

Thanks for the response - good point!!

I'll sort some pictures in the next few days - I'm in Halifax in West Yorkshire if it helps too.

I thought of contacting my local technical education college, to see if they could use it for their classes.

There is also the remote possibility that while spending hours staring at it all, inspiration might hit me and I'll emerge through a cloud of sawdust a week later (wearing the appropriate protective gear of course) with a piece of art the Tate Modern would be proud of!

Cheers

Well I'm sure it might be useful for anyone local. It depends on the sizes. Small board material will be of interest to box makers. Chunkier bits will be of interest to the turner.

This is what it's like when it accumulates.

DSC_1156.JPG

DSC_1157.JPG

DSC_1159.JPG

:lol: ..and that's only half of it!

wizer":2yydg11c said:
Well I'm sure it might be useful for anyone local. It depends on the sizes. Small board material will be of interest to box makers. Chunkier bits will be of interest to the turner.

DSC_1156.JPG

DSC_1157.JPG

DSC_1159.JPG

That looks a pretty modest pile Tom, I know somebody who has ton's more than that filling a shed, driveway and workshop :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

Oh, the number of Christmas tree baubles I could make from that amount of wood! Most people's offcuts are just about the right size for compound cut scroll saw projects.

Gill

paulm":10tn5o3y said:
wizer":10tn5o3y said:

DSC_1156.JPG

DSC_1157.JPG

DSC_1159.JPG

That looks a pretty modest pile Tom, I know somebody who has ton's more than that filling a shed, driveway and workshop :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

you been snooping round my 'shop then ? :D , at one point i had well over a tonne , not counting that thats stored at work - ive been steadily using it up recently tho as swimbo had started moaning about it

Well I didn't mention this....

DSC_1252.JPG

or this (mainly Iroko and board offcuts with some logs thrown in for good measure)...

DSC_1253.JPG

or this..

DSC_1255.JPG

Or any of this

DSC_1256.JPG

erm or this

DSC_1257.JPG

ahem

DSC_1258.JPG

uh.. :eek:

DSC_1259.JPG

But I admit, I've seen worse... :roll: :lol:

Hi, You could always make a small hut and use it to smoke ham,bacon etc

by BURNING all your wood :whistle:

Davon

Davon":358ykdfz said:
Hi, You could always make a small hut and use it to smoke ham,bacon etc

by BURNING all your wood :whistle:

Davon

but what a waste that would be , this stuff doesnt grown on trees you kn... erm

Gill":302buh7p said:
Oh, the number of Christmas tree baubles I could make from that amount of wood! Most people's offcuts are just about the right size for compound cut scroll saw projects.

Gill

as i said before gill , i'd be happy to send you a package of my smaller offcuts gratis (or maybe in exchange for a bauble or two ;) )

There's more to come!

I need to be brutal and get rid of some of the smaller board stock. I went down the tip yesterday with the intention of getting rid of stuff, but I couldn't do it! Ended up with half a boot of triangle shaped plywood bits!

good lord - I thought I had issues with about 10% of that - good to see that I'm still a minnow. Must save these pictures to show my wife when she complains about the amount of wood I have :)

Miles

miles_hot":5uzgptce said:
good lord - I thought I had issues with about 10% of that - good to see that I'm still a minnow. Must save these pictures to show my wife when she complains about the amount of wood I have :)

Miles

ahh you have much to learn grasshopper - stick with us and you'll soon have a totally impractical ammount of wood. ( At one point i had so much i physically couldnt get in the 'shop and was reduced to building bookcases on the back lawn :shock: )

Bloody hell Tom you've only been turning about 5 minutes haven't you :D

Hivis - would be interested to hear/see what you've got as you never know what you can use something for, I'm in Hudds so only a couple of hills away from Halifax

Cheers

Damian

PS - welcome to the forum, it's like Royston Vasey. You'll never leave!

big soft moose":5n4g1gat said:
as i said before gill , i'd be happy to send you a package of my smaller offcuts gratis (or maybe in exchange for a bauble or two ;) )

It's a kind offer and I'd be happy to send you a bauble or two anyway, but it's not the lack of wood or offcuts that's preventing me - it's the lack of time to play in the workshop :( .

Gill

wizer":3n6djktk said:
I refer you to my sig... ;)

so is what you're saying is that you actually have loads of talent - its just that you have even more wood ?

Back