surface planer question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all just purchased a second hand multico planer for £50 from bristol wood recycling, this is another machine in the quest to move to single machines, and sell my kity bestcombi 2000, the question is and daft as it may seem i have only ever used a planer with one adjustable table i,e ala kity. can someone with more knowledge than me explain the reason for both tables being adjustable, :oops: :?

Bobcat
Reason is this - adjust the infeed for depth of cut, the outfeed is adjusted to be slightly below the tips of the blades for a snipe free, perfect cut.
With an adjustable outfeed table it makes life easy setting up your machine.
Hope this makes sense,
Philly :D

That's true; it does make life a lot easier. Otherwise, I guess you'd have try and level it up to the unadjustable outfeed table. But if it's adjustable, you can use a jig to set the knives and then set the table to that.

As for whether or not the knives should be the tiniest fraction higher though, is still dependent on your own preferences (I prefer to have it totally flush). :wink:

on the multico i would think in addition to the above it would be for cutting stopped chamfers(not recommended though). the leg would be laid on the spinning cutters passed across then taken off. very very dicey

Back